Question Chicco Nexfit Zip -Outgrown too soon

Tamika

My 4yr old is 44" and 51 lbs. Her shoulders are now higher than the straps on the Chicco Nextfit Zip. According to the instructions this indicates she has outgrown her seat, which was confirmed by a call back from Chicco. She is pretty far from the 49" and 65 lbs. at which the seat was supposed to max out. Is this a common issue? Do I have any recourse? It would have been nice if Chicco would have offered a coupon or something. Being that my cars are small and there are four adults, two of whom have to squeeze on either side of the seat, what seat do we get next? I want to keep her in a HBB, as she has low muscle tone and impulsive behavior. I am concerned she would unbuckle herself and she wouldn't be safe in a three point belt. Any advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

No, there's no recourse, as she's hit one of the stated limits in the manual. It's 49" OR 65 pounds OR shoulders over the top harness height OR tops of the ears over the top of the headrest. Since Chicco cannot predict her torso length, they are not at fault.

A high back booster uses a three point belt. So that's not at all what you want right now. In addition to her low tone (which is usually fine in a high back booster), she's simply too young to be safe in one. But a combination seat would be perfect. I'd look at the Britax Frontier, Britax Pioneer, Chicco MyFit (you'll recognize a lot of similarities with your NextFit, and it's a LOT narrower so the people on the sides won't be as squished). They all have 19.5" to 20.5" top harness height, up from the NextFit's 17.5".

Wendy

U

Unregistered

We're going through the same thing. I agree, the Britax Frontier Clicktight is the way to go. We're happy with ours.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC