Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

8 year old, 48", 47 lbs

So my tiny 8 year old has been riding in a britax frontier, still using the 5 pt harness. It expires this week and I need to replace it. It was her brother's first, and he transitioned out of it at 10, and into a backless booster until 12.5 when he was finally tall enough.
    What should I get to replace it? We would like to keep her in a 5pt harness as long as we can.
    Extra info: Her little sister is 2.75 and still rear facing in a Diono Ranier. We'd like to be able to pass the new seat on to her if needed when she is older. But that may not be necessary with the Ranier.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: 8 year old, 48", 47 lbs

Honestly, a high back or backless booster would be perfect for her. Would you care for recommendations? There is no need to continue to harness her unless she has special needs.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

recommendations would be great.
    we had thought to keep her in the 5-pt only because the back seat is so tight with the ranier in the middle that it is difficult for her to reach and buckle, and we were considering being able to pass it to her sister in the future. But with a 10-yr life on the ranier, I guess that's not really necessary.

I should add that the rainier needs to stay in the center, as my 13 year old is outboard on one side and the 8 year old on the other.

CPS Technician

What vehicle is it? Have you thought about putting the 13yo in the middle to give the 8yo a bit more room to buckle the booster?

It is an '02 GTi. Putting the 13yo in the middle is not an option, as the seat is too narrow, and he refuses to sit there. We have to pick the battles.
    Additionally, the rainier is too big to go anywhere other than the middle, as the seats have to be so far forward that they can not be occupied.