Seat for 2003 Infiniti SUV

Papaver

My son outgrew his infant seat after the age of 2. We're been moving another seat between two cars. The seat works fine in one car but we really don't like it in our 2003 Infiniti QX (SUV) I'm hoping to keep my son rear facing and am looking for suggestions for a seat for a thin and lanky 28 mo old. We need a seat that sits upright enough that the front (at least passenger) seat can be pushed back for leg room. Our current seat has to be installed behind the front passenger because my 5'10" husband can't get the drivers seat back far enough with the current seat. It was tight, but doable, with our infant Nuna Pipa.

Would there be a rear facing center install for our SUV?

I'm willing to remove the seat to rethread the harness if needbe. Lightweight for airline travel would be a Plus. Ideal budget $350 or under, though I can stretch.

Thanks!

ADS

lgenne

What car seat are you having problems with?

Off the top of my head: you might like the Graco Contender (checks all of your boxes reasonably well) and the Britax ClickTight convertibles (not great for travel, but does everything else you mentioned really well).

Papaver

It's a Costco Apt 50. It was purchased for a Toyota Solara based on reviews I found before finding this site. At the time I had a Nuna Pipa in the Infiniti & needed a seat for the new (to us) Solara that grandpa could pick up at Target and pop in the car we were flying to pick up. The Apt 50 is ok in the Solara since it's a convertible; I literally stand in the back and put my foot in the car seat to pull up on the tightening strap for the anchors. In the Infiniti it's hard to get it pulled tightly and it crowds the drivers seat. And we all hate that the harness buckles on the Apt 50 spin around the straps. It was an inexpensive seat, it is what it is and works ok in the car it was purchased for.

lgenne

Got it. I think you’ll prefer either of my suggestions above over the Apt (which is a perfectly reasonable seat, and fills that travel car seat need really well) just for convenience and ease of use factors. Note that you don’t want to use lower anchors with the ClickTights, though. They’re designed to make seat belt installs super easy.

Papaver

Thank you. I also posted about the seat for Granny's Buick Lacrosse. Would you suggest the Click Tight for that situation (I'm hearing that it's easy belt install, so wondering, but maybe another factor makes it less ideal for the Buick?)

The recommendations for that car were the Graco clones and the slimfit. Would any of those be better travel/airline choices than the Contender? I can always borrow Granny's seat for travel. Or would you stick with the Apt 50 to haul for rental cars?

Thanks!
JJ

lgenne

Those were recommended for easy in/out with lower anchors. They’re heavier than the Contender, so I wouldn’t prefer them for travel.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC