4 kids in car seats in crew cab truck

drchicken

Hi! We are looking at what crew cab trucks can hold 4 car seats, safely. I currently have 3 across the back seat of my current truck, but as we are planning for the 4th, I want to be prepared for when all 6 of us need to travel in my truck, or when I take all 4 kids to school/daycare, etc. With that, I know that I can order a truck with a front bench seat and I know that my state law allows for my oldest to sit up front so long as all three seats in the back are occupied. My question is where on the front bench should the booster seat go - center or passenger seat (we still use a high back booster with the 5-point harness) and do any manufacturers have a tether or LATCH for the front bench?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What is allowed varies by manufacturer. What you should look for is a full center seat with an adjustable head restraint and a shoulder belt. That way you can safely put an adult or backless booster rider or adult there. Since recent trucks are not allowed to have an off switch for airbags, ideal would be a backless booster, not high back, with the seat as far back as possible.

A few trucks with a full back row have a tether anchor for the front seat but not many. That's usually more for trucks without a workable back seat.

In the back you'll also want to look for a full (not extendable) bench with well-upholstered (not stiff) seats, 3 shoulder belts and 3 adjustable head restraints.

As far as I know a lot of trucks still don't meet these criteria, so that ought to narrow it quite a bit.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC