Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

4 kids in car seats in crew cab truck

Hi! We are looking at what crew cab trucks can hold 4 car seats, safely. I currently have 3 across the back seat of my current truck, but as we are planning for the 4th, I want to be prepared for when all 6 of us need to travel in my truck, or when I take all 4 kids to school/daycare, etc. With that, I know that I can order a truck with a front bench seat and I know that my state law allows for my oldest to sit up front so long as all three seats in the back are occupied. My question is where on the front bench should the booster seat go - center or passenger seat (we still use a high back booster with the 5-point harness) and do any manufacturers have a tether or LATCH for the front bench?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: 4 kids in car seats in crew cab truck

What is allowed varies by manufacturer. What you should look for is a full center seat with an adjustable head restraint and a shoulder belt. That way you can safely put an adult or backless booster rider or adult there. Since recent trucks are not allowed to have an off switch for airbags, ideal would be a backless booster, not high back, with the seat as far back as possible.

A few trucks with a full back row have a tether anchor for the front seat but not many. That's usually more for trucks without a workable back seat.

In the back you'll also want to look for a full (not extendable) bench with well-upholstered (not stiff) seats, 3 shoulder belts and 3 adjustable head restraints.

As far as I know a lot of trucks still don't meet these criteria, so that ought to narrow it quite a bit.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 6
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!