Question Recommendations on a seat for 6 year old

vitesse_marie

Hi, I was hoping I could get opinions and suggestions on what I should do for my son. He’s 6 years old (he’ll turn 7 in October). His current seat is a Clek Foonf and he’s getting close to outgrowing it. I was planning on buying a Clek Oobr booster for when he outgrew his Foonf, but I’m worried that he’s still a little young to be in a booster. He has a Graco Nautilus in my husband’s car that he still has plenty of room left to grow for the harness. Should I get the Oobr for my husband’s car and move the Nautilus to our main vehicle so he can still be harnessed? (He only rides in my husband's car about once a month.) Or should I get a whole new forward facing seat that converts to a booster and skip the Oobr? If you have any suggestions for seats I’d love to hear them. Our main vehicle is a 2016 Honda Odyssey. Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Most children his age are perfectly ready for a booster. It's a good idea to transition gradually but starting in the secondary car now would probably work fine at his age.

The Oobr is very shallow and some kids don't like it, so you may want to try before you buy or buy from somewhere with free returns in case it doesn't work well for him. I wouldn't buy a new combination seat for a typical kid that age though- there are lots of other options of long lasting dedicated boosters that are comfortable even for older kids (in the Ody, that second row seat needs a booster for a looong time.) The most important thing with a booster is that the belt is positioned correctly and that he's comfortable so he's not tempted to wiggle around, so make sure whatever booster you get works well on those points. (Ability to buckle independently and the shoulder belt not getting stuck in or pulling out of the belt guide are other important points.)

vitesse_marie

Thank you so much, that was very helpful. Now, I'm thinking of getting the Graco TurboBooster LX High Back Seat instead of the Oobr. It seems like that would be more comfortable for long car trips and was one of the recommended booster seats on this forum.

jjordan

The Turbobooster is one of many great options. Be aware that the Turbobooster does not have LATCH attachments, which is not a safety issue, but does mean that you will need to make sure your son buckles the booster in after getting out so that the unoccupied booster does not become a projectile. You can save that step by getting a LATCHable booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC