Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

flying with a car seat

My family will be flying for the first time next month with our 18 month old. She will be flying as a lap baby but will need a car seat as we are traveling through Yellowstone. I bought a Diono Rainier for her in hopes of being able to carry it on the plane and store it in the overhead bin. We are flying with United Airlines. Has anyone done this without issue? Any tips or suggestion would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: flying with a car seat

Hi there.

I've not heard of it being allowed in the overhead. It's not a small seat.

If you bought a ticket for your baby, an angle adjuster, and got a seatbelt extender from the flight attendants when you get on board, you could use it rear facing. Then your baby would have a seatbelt, like you do. You're right to be concerned about checking the carseat. That's not a safe option. Baggage handlers aren't known for being gentle with baggage. But, I'd be a little more concerned about your baby. The plane won't push back unless my seatbelt is done up and my laptop is off my lap. For my protection and the protection of everyone around me. There's nothing that protects your baby or everyone around you with your baby on your lap.

Have you seen the FAA's site on the matter? https://www.faa.gov/travelers/fly_children/

Definitely practice installing the Rainier before you travel. It has a bit of a learning curve, and can be large rear facing. Make sure the rear facing base and angle adjuster come with you.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785