Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Convertible Seat for Down Syndrome/Hypotonia

OK so I thought my little guy was still within the 1Ē from the top of shell rule till two days ago when I happened to sit in the back seat next to him and from that angle saw that his head is almost to the top so needs a bigger seat ASAP. Heís 16 months, 20 lbs, 30 inches tall. The seat heís outgrown is a B-Safe 35 (not the Elite). The one issue Iíve had with it is that his head flops forward when he falls asleep, which he does almost every time he is in it. Because of that I want to make sure his new seat has a good recline. Iíve been researching seats like crazy the last couple of days and a couple of other points Iíve seen on here for kids with hypotonia/Down Syndrome are to keep them rear facing as long as possible and make sure the seat has plenty of support. Our vehicle is a 2008 Chrysler Aspen. It has 3 rows so space front to back is tight, especially since my husband and I are both tall. I need to be able to fit the carseat and 2 tall teenagers in the 2nd row (theyíre much too tall to ride in the 3rd row) and be able to flip one seat for my 10 year old to access the the third row.

So the Extend2Fit seems to be highly recommended for high RF limit, compact front to back, multiple recline positions, and good support. The leg extension also looks like a nice feature though I donít know if it would take up too much space in our vehicle.

Iíve also been looking at the Boulevard which I like for the anti-rebound bar but th RF limit isnít as high.

Any other seats I should consider?
    I should mention that we live in a small town and the only store close by that sells carseats is Walmart and their selection is small, so whatever I get I probably wonít be able to try out before buying.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Convertible Seat for Down Syndrome/Hypotonia

The Extend2Fit is a good choice though it has a headrest style that sometimes pushes the head forward.

The Safety 1st Advance EX 65 Air + has pretty much the same limits without that issue. With the caveat that it is VERY large in the car, at least at the fullest recline, I really love this seat for kids with low tone.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Thanks for the quick reply! I hadnít heard of the Advance EX 65 Air but after looking at reviews and specs Iím not confident it would fit in my vehicle. Unfortunately it only seems to be available through Kmart or Sears who I donít have a lot of experience ordering from. Do you know if they are good about returns online?

On the other hand, the head pushing thing is definitely a concern. Iím not sure what to do.

Maybe the best thing would be to order the Extend2Fit through Walmart. They can have it here in 3 days and if doesnít work out at least it will be easy to return. If it comes that I could then try the Advance with the Blvd as a last resort.

Moderator - CPS Technician

With him only being 20 pounds at 16 months old, I don't know that you need to prioritize a seat with a 50# rear facing weight limit. His weight is well below the 5th percentile, so he could easily get to 6-7 years old and not yet reach 40 pounds. The Boulevard is very tall RF so I wouldn't worry about the 40# RF weight limit.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Good point about his weight, although the Down Syndrome growth chart has him reaching 40 lbs at age 4 1/2-5 1/2. I did order the Extend2Fit, so I'll see how that works out and go from there.

So the Extend2Fit arrived yesterday evening and I was able to try it out. His head is definitely pushed forward in it. He isn't a complainer but I'm worried it might be uncomfortable for longer drives. The good news is his head didn't flop forward when he fell asleep: maybe because his head was pushed forward already or maybe because of the side pillows, or maybe because he was only asleep for a short time. Do other kids seem bothered by this?

Maybe I'm being too picky, but he'll likely be in this seat for many years, so I don't want him forced into an unnatural position.

The other thing is the buckle seemed really high up on his stomach. Is that okay?

I'm thinking I should just order the Boulevard, try it, and then decide which seat to keep.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The buckle is fine.

The head position gets better or worse as they grow and it's very variable by kid.

If you don't have it at max recline you can try to recline a little more and see if that helps.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I did have it fully reclined. The Boulevard will be here Monday so we'll see how that does.