Question Battle over HBB

U

Unregistered

We've done everything "right" according to the wisdom of car seat technicians throughout the years, but now my son is nearing on 11 years old and off to middle school and we are having a major battle with the HBB. He is a small guy, 54" and 53 lbs, and the booster he has is high backed until 57". Growing at about 2 inches a year he might not get out of a HBB by height until 8th grade. He's on a tear about going to middle school (where there are other parent car rides to cross country meets, thus riding with friends) with an HBB. He's willing to have the booster, but wants the back off. We've always had them max out their height/weight limits before moving on to a new seat, but if he doesn't sleep in the car, sits fine (because he's 11) and safely, can we move to a backless? His friends are all much taller than him, and obviously don't use any seats at all since our state only has requirements until 4'9". When did you allow your kids to go backless? It seems a reasonable request as he does have good car manners, again because he's 3 years from his learners permit. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
He's absolutely fine in a backless. My daughter's about 52" and I put her in a backless. She's going to be nine next month. She sits properly. If we were going on a trip and I thought she might sleep, I might toss in a taller high back for her.

But at 11, I'd not even have the fight. I'd remove the back and make him happy. In a frontal crash, there are no benefits to a back. In fact, having the head start further forward is a downside. However, having the shell around the child to help them learn to sit properly, and to stay upright properly, is a benefit as they're learning to use a booster. There are likely also side impact considerations. But at 11, I'd have zero problem in the least with a backless booster.

Wendy

jjordan

Yes to what Wendy said. Unless the highback has a definite benefit for a kid (keeping him upright while sleeping, helping with proper positioning, etc), then there is no reason to not move to a backless. The phrase you hear "each step up in car seats is a step down in safety" is simply not true across the board, and this is a good example of it not being true. An 11 year old who will sit properly in either seat is not safer in a highback booster!

dmpmercury

I agree that at 11 I would just let him use a low back. I have an small 11 year old too. She really wanted to lose the high back and I let her. My 9 year old who is about the same size as her also wanted to move to a low back. It is a good fit and they use it properly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC