Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

5 year old in car seat on plane...photo?

Weird request...but does anyone have a photo of an older child in a car seat on the airplane?

We will be flying with our 5 year old. He's 37 pounds and 42 inches tall (or so.) We used his Evenflo Maestro last time and were hoping to use it again.

I just have a hard time picturing an older child using a car seat on the plane. Was hoping people here could set my mind at ease about it.

We need the seat at our destination so not taking it really isn't an option.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

Re: 5 year old in car seat on plane...photo?

I don't know that I have a picture, but my youngest flew in her seat in December 2 months shy of turning 5. She's about your 5yo's size.
    DD1: 12.7, 65 lbs and 56 in, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 8.8 50 lbs and 49 in, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 5.0, 35 lbs and 42 in, ffing RA50

Quote Originally Posted by rachelandtyke View Post
    I don't know that I have a picture, but my youngest flew in her seat in December 2 months shy of turning 5. She's about your 5yo's size.
    In the car, he doesn't often kick the back of the seat but I worry he will on the plane. Not sure if the car seat will make that worse.

But I'm also not really sure what our other options are since we need the seat for our rental car. He has autism and is nowhere near ready for a belted booster.

My son is 6, but around your child's size. I hope this is helpful. This is on southwest airlines in June. I didn't have any problem with him kicking the seat, however, I arranged our seats so that my other child was in the seat directly in front of him -- just in case.

airplane.jpg
    Mom in a Buick Verano + Dad in a Nissan Frontier
    DS1 6.5, 35lbs, 42" FF in a Harmony Defender + KidEmbrace Spider-Man
    DS2 2.7, 27lbs, 35" RF in a Cosco Scenera Next + Britax Marathon 70-G3

On our way home, we were the last people on the flight (connecting flight was delayed and they held the plane for us) so we didn't really have a choice in seating. My RF toddler was by the window, then my 6yo (middle) and then me. My husband was in an aisle seat across the aisle from us. It was really nice of southwest to hold 4 seats together for us and they knew we had car seats. I didn't have any problems with him kicking the seat in front of us then, either.
    Mom in a Buick Verano + Dad in a Nissan Frontier
    DS1 6.5, 35lbs, 42" FF in a Harmony Defender + KidEmbrace Spider-Man
    DS2 2.7, 27lbs, 35" RF in a Cosco Scenera Next + Britax Marathon 70-G3

Senior Community Member rachelandtyke's Avatar

My DD was still rfing in the car when we had her ffing on the plane, so it was a true novelty, but I don't recall having a problem with her kicking the seat in front of her.
    DD1: 12.7, 65 lbs and 56 in, finally five-stepping!
    DS: 8.8 50 lbs and 49 in, Chicco KidFit, HBTB
    DD2: 5.0, 35 lbs and 42 in, ffing RA50