How to fly with infant car seat base?

W

Winterbaby

Traveling by plane with a three month old and a chicco fit2. We will purchase a seat for the baby and fly with the fit2. From what I have read, we can’t install the base on the airplane seat and I believe the rebound bar part of the base will make it so we can’t fit the base in the overhead compartment. I’m hesitant to check the base because I have heard of damage occurring. I’m also hesitant to to travel without the base. Even though the fit2 has European path for baseless install, we will be in and out of the car very frequently and driving in potentially icy/snowy conditions. I worry that we wouldn’t get a good install every time based on how much we’d be in and out, but maybe this isn’t as difficult/time consuming as I’m making it out to be? Also we will have a rental car and it may not have a shoulder belt or a belt that automatically locks in the center. Do all recent cars have these things? I’m a first time mom and would be very appreciative of any advice and help!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you're in the US, all cars have had shoulder belts in the center since I believe 2008, and have had belts that lock for carseats since 1996.

I'd put the base under the seat in front of the baby, with the ARB sticking out a bit. But I'd try it in the overhead first.

Wendy

MelodyoftheForest

I like KQ's suggestion of how to bring the base. However, if you do decide to do a baseless install, it might be easier to do in an outboard seat because many center seats have a fold-down arm rest/cup holder. With my KeyFit, this required a huge rolled towel to keep the angle properly. It is easier to push it into the back of the seat on an outboard seat where it's softer. I loved traveling with a rear facing only seat and a stroller, but I wasn't reinstalling it a ton. Practice the install at home and see how comfortable you are with it. That should help you decide if bringing the base is worth it!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC