Question 2014 Ford Edge middle seat Latch

U

Unregistered

Hi! I'm really confused right now and don't know where to start. I bought a 2014 Ford Edge believing I could use my son's Graco Slimfit in the center seat. I've read the entire car manual & carseat manual and a million things online and I can't figure out if it's okay to install his car seat (forward facing) in the center seat! I've seen that the latch anchors are too far apart to "borrow" (from what I read about the '14 Edge, they are 18inches apart in the center). But then I read that Graco allows "borrowing" and Ford allows "borrowing" if the car seat allows.... I am so confused. IF I can't install his seat in the center with the Latch system, could I install it with the seat belt? Which is preferred - Side installation with LATCH or middle installation with seat belt (If I can't use LATCH). I'm wish I would have taken more time before buying my Edge and found a vehicle with LATCH anchors for the middle seat !

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Most cars don't have lower anchors in the center, and all cars have lower anchor weight limits. They're not safer, simply supposed to be an option. If your child is over two years old and 22 pounds, no problem installing in the center with the seatbelt and the top tether anchor. The seatbelt instructions are in the manuals.

Most people haven't read their car and carseat manuals. You're well ahead of the crowd.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC