another winter coat/fleece question, but with some YIKES observations

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Okay, so, I've been putting dd in fleece jackets and pullovers like I'm *supposed* to. But here's the thing. It's still fluctuating temps here, so we use a coat sometimes yes, sometimes no.

these really thin fleece jackets SERIOUSLY alter the harness for dd. I mean, like INCHES. I
m atalking about thin fleece jackets here, not even winter-weight stuff (I still have to put a blanket over her on colder days) but yet, the difference in harness is very noticable. Jacket Like seen here:http://www.landsend.com/pp/Microfle...B&CM_MERCH=IDX_00004__0000000427&origin=index

I just did a test where i marked her harness with her in different fleecey pullovers and zip-up jackets - all are 1 layer of fleece, a couple are 1 layer of fleece with a thin liner of some sort, usually a nylon or cotton layer, also thin. I also tried her in her "bulky" coats, the kind I only let her wear to go out and play in, not use in the carseat, as well as her nylon "windbreaker" type coats.
there was NO difference!! In fact, I was actually able to get the harness TIGHTER on DD in some of the "bulky" coats than the fleece ones? But regardless of material, ALL of the coats required the harness straps to be at LEAST 1.5 inches looser than what they are when she is not wearing a jacket.

I have heard that fleece doesn't "compress", but I guess it's just not making sense to me. I mean - the harness is 1.5 inches looser on my daughter with her coat on than without it. That can't be good, right? That is still 1.5 inches of slack in her harness that probably shouldn't be there, right?
Is that normal? How much extra harness do you guys have when your LO is in a coat versus not? Am I making too big a deal out of an inch or 2? As I put dd back into her seat, with the harness adjusted to fit her with coat on, but with her not having a coat on, and I see the saggin 1.5 inchew too loose harness, I think "GOSH, I would NEVER let her ride around with the harness this loose!" but yet...I AM, every day she wears her coat/jacket in the car?

I'm just wondering what is going on....??..

ADS

scatterbunny

This may be one of those situations that varies from child to child, seat to seat. I've done the same "tests" with Hayley and a few of her thin "carseat coats" as we call them, and I was always able to get her in just as snug. Heck, in both the Fisher Price Futura and Britax Husky we very rarely loosened the straps. She just contorted herself into them, one shoulder at a time, and then buckled, usually by herself. They were the same tightness if she was wearing just a T-shirt or if she was wearing one of her carseat coats. I figured if we had to loosen to fit the coat, it was TOO loose, KWIM? If we couldn't force the buckles closed, whatever she was wearing was TOO thick. I know that's a bit extreme and sometimes loosening is necessary, but for us, if I needed to loosen, I could pretty much figure she had a growth spurt and it was due to being either taller or heavier, or both. :p

canadianmom2three

I find I am even able to get ds in with his 'real' winter coat on, mind you it is not one of those really puffy ones (and I still prefer to just take it off and put it over him backwards after he's buckled). I find it I unzip the coat and push it back a bit, so the harness is over his shirt, so that really the only coat between him and the seat/harness is what is behind his back, I can get him in without letting out any belt. OTOH, I've had him in in some sweatshirts where I've had to let out belt.....

tiggercat

I usually leave Megan's harness tight, and only loosen when she's grown and I can not longer get her squashed in to the seat. So, if I can't get her in with the jacket, she doesn't wear it. In the winter I might leave it a touch looser than in the summer (I'm a compulsive harness tightener though, and my "looser" is other people's nice n tight). I really haven't noticed a huge difference with her wearing a thin fleece, we use MEC fleece one pieces or jackets. I do have to take off some of her pull over sweaters though, they seem to add a lot of bulk.

Simplysomething

Ditto to what canadianmom2three said.Actually, it's Overalls that do it for me. Not much, though.

So, if I could get ds2 buckled into his seat without releasing any of the harness, would that be considered okay? I don't know. It's too much of a pain in the rear to do. (Buckling the harness over the coat, that is).

I'll back off the thread, since I don't live in the frigid far north. I live in the ...not so frigid mid-atlantic/south. lol

LuvBug

I never adjust DS's harness unless it needs to be tighter or he has grown to the point I cant buckle it anymore. I can squeeze him in it with his fleeces on with a little extra force, but no problem.
I wonder if it could just be really difficult to get it retightened correctly once its been loosened. Try putting her in it without the coat, snug, then putting her back in with the coat without adjusting anything and see if it is possible to buckle her still.

skaterbabs

I never adjust DS's harness unless it needs to be tighter or he has grown to the point I cant buckle it anymore. I can squeeze him in it with his fleeces on with a little extra force, but no problem.
I wonder if it could just be really difficult to get it retightened correctly once its been loosened. Try putting her in it without the coat, snug, then putting her back in with the coat without adjusting anything and see if it is possible to buckle her still.

:yeahthat:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member

That's my point, I CAN'T. The buckle won't even come CLOSE to buckling....I have to loosen it significantly for her to fit. Using her thinnest lightest one, i still have to loosen it a good inch to be able to bukle it....which doesnt make sense to me even! I mean, even if the stupid jacket were balled up behind her, it is so thin it shouldn't be causing that much difference in the harness, but yet somehow it is?? I just can't figure it out....noen of it is making any sense to me, and granted, my spatial skills might not have me working for the CIA or anything, but they're not bad, and none of it makes any sense....:mad: *band head*
Why don't we have a bang head smiley? Can I like, put in a request to get one, lol?

Anyway....I'm going to play around with this some more today....

wondering1

Maybe she sits more upright with a cold seat or a jacket on? Check the difference after sitting in the seat for 5 minutes?

Also, get children's silk long johns to help keep them comfy in the winter. Campmor and Lands End sells children's sizes. Sierra Trading Post has some discounted for women.

LuvBug

thats weird... we use Old Navy fleece pullovers. Maybe its just the difference in materials?

What seat is she in and where is she in it?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
She's in a vision, harnessed, at the second to top slots. I am wondering about the posture thing as well....I think she does sit diffferently, maybe it's because of the pants? She has recently begun wearing jeans for basically the first time in her life, its always been dresses and stretchy cloth pants until now. Also, she is right almost at the slot, and I'm thinking with the pants and coat, she is maybe a bit over it? That might be what is causing the issue. Perhaps I should put the slot up to the next highest one. I think I am going to try that.
Here is a pic from July of her in the seat (please don't notice her filthy face, lol!)

2007_07300063.jpg

skaterbabs

jeans will do it every time; I've noticed that with Joy. She can have on a nice coat and not need the harness loosened, but if she has on jeans it's a real pain to buckle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC