1998 Dodge Ram top tethers

Squirrel

Hello! I have a 1998 Dodge Ram, and I'm trying to figure out if I have top tethers installed or not. I know they didn't come from the factory, it would have been a retrofit. And the kit is impossible to get. But I think the previous owner had kids (judging by the toys and crayons I found in various nooks and crannies), so I'm hoping that they may be installed already.

Does anyone have a picture of what the retrofit tether brackets look like please? Thank you!

ADS

Squirrel

Thank you. On the floor of the truck, under the seat, are two black brackets bolted to the floor. At first glance, I thought they could be for the tethers, but they seem much more lightweight than the tether points I've seen in other cars, so I'm not sure.

I don't know if I can attach a picture to show you what I'm seeing?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The easiest way to attach a picture is to use a photohosting site (I like Tinypic) that supplies an IMG BB code tag.

Squirrel

That's what I was afraid of. I just put on some exam gloves and went digging around behind the seat. I found what appeared to be a tentacle from a toy rubber octopus :eek:, but nothing that was close to being a tether point. Oh well.

Thank you all for your help!

Squirrel

Well, one more follow up question even though I think I already know the answer. I can't get my hands on the Dodge retrofit kit. Is there any combination of FF car seat and aftermarket tether anchor that is approved for use together? Thanks.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ez-On makes a heavy duty tether anchor. They officially approve it only with their products (the 86-Y harness for instance, which can be used with a booster), but they have also approved use with other seats on a case-by-case basis as long as the overall weight limit of 168 lbs including seat is observed. It is something I'm very comfortable with and would do for my kid.

Squirrel

That might be my only option. Little one is currently in a Chicco Nextfit, and I know Chicco really doesn't approve of any aftermarket anythings used with their seats. But she's going to go overweight for RF soon, and the options are either figure out a tether, or buy a new vehicle. And since the Dodge dealer says my vehicle is "legacy" and they don't make the tether kit anymore, I'm in a pickle.

Judi, in relation to the bracket my picture, do you recall where the anchor mounting points are located? Would I have to rip up the carpet to find them probably? How far from the back wall of the truck is it? (I've done a retrofit for a Honda Accord, but that was easy since I could see what I was looking for in from the trunk as well. That, and it had instructions.)

Dillipop

That might be my only option. Little one is currently in a Chicco Nextfit, and I know Chicco really doesn't approve of any aftermarket anythings used with their seats. But she's going to go overweight for RF soon, and the options are either figure out a tether, or buy a new vehicle. And since the Dodge dealer says my vehicle is "legacy" and they don't make the tether kit anymore, I'm in a pickle.

Judi, in relation to the bracket my picture, do you recall where the anchor mounting points are located? Would I have to rip up the carpet to find them probably? How far from the back wall of the truck is it? (I've done a retrofit for a Honda Accord, but that was easy since I could see what I was looking for in from the trunk as well. That, and it had instructions.)

Another option would be to get a Grace Extend2fit, which has a 50 pound rearfacing weight limit and a very tall shell. It may be enough to get your little one to a safe booster she, negating the need for the tether.

Squirrel

That's a good idea, thank you. I'll have to see how the various extended RF weight limit seats fit. I see that Judi was able to make a Foonf work, so at least that option is there.

I'd still like to see if I could figure out a FF option, though. Little one has a tendency to get car sick, and I don't know if FF might help that.

lgenne

Note that the Foonf doesn’t really get most kids to 50 pounds. It’s outgrown by height well before weight for most kids. The Extend2Fit generally lasts far longer height-wise.

Squirrel

Oh dear, I didn't think about that. Yes, we would actually be closer to height out than weight out on the Clek already. Thank you.

I need to get to a store and do some measuring. I'm just not sure if the extending foot rest on the Extend2Fit will make the seat too big for the back seat in the truck. The one piece of "good news" is that, based on our last check-up, little one has stopped growing like a weed. We might actually have some time before we hit 40 lbs after all. (No longer running the 90th percentile for height and weight).

MelodyoftheForest

Car sickness is tough. Two of my nieces who are sisters had to turn FF for that reason. Also, the extending tray on the E2F is optional under 40lbs and only has to be out one notch over 40lbs. Something to be aware of when you try it out.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC