Moving on from diono radian rxt - need recommendations

So I am one of the poor saps who bought the diono radian rxt for all the kids, only to realize even my short children outgrow it for height before the weight limit. I need help finding another narrow seat that I can use in the back of a Toyota sienna, as one day we might still have to do three in a row back there. My son is about to turn 8, so do I still need to search for a seat with 5pt harness, or should I just move on to boosters? Please help. Thank you.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

At 8, kids are generally more than ready for a booster, assuming there are no special needs to consider. What are the ages/heights/weights of all your kids, and where are they in the van now?

I only have one ready to move out of the diono. He's between 50 and 60 pounds. Not sure how tall he is, but tall enough to outgrow the diono wings. He is in the third row of the van.

lgenne

What year is your Sienna? Do you have the Radians tethered? (Most (all?) years don’t have 3 tether anchors back there.) Please make sure your harnessed children are tethered in the locations that allow tether anchor use, and that they’re tethered appropriately.

For a narrow high back booster, try the Harmony Dreamtime. If you think he’s ready for a backless booster (most 8 year olds are) a Harmony Youth Booster or Cosco Rise would also be a good choice.

You say there is only one tether, however, when I got it checked at a fire station, I was told I could tether to anything that is bolted to the frame. So they should both be fine. Was the safety inspector wrong?? Because that’s is very concerning.

Also, I am looking to replace a Diono, so it won’t be an issue. Are highback boosters tethered? I’ve never used one before.

lgenne

You say there is only one tether, however, when I got it checked at a fire station, I was told I could tether to anything that is bolted to the frame. So they should both be fine. Was the safety inspector wrong?? Because that’s is very concerning.

Yes, that’s wrong, and it is concerning.

Can you tell us ages/weights/heights of everyone in the second and 3rd rows, and what car seats you already have? We can probably come up with a way to get everyone in safely, and minimize car seat purchases. It will probably mean moving kids around, which is why I hesitate to recommend a booster right now.

I have an infant in a britax baby bucket seat in the middle row. I have a 3 yo rear facing in a Diono radian rxt. She’s 29 pounds and the seat is connected with LATCH also in middle row. I have two kids forward facing in Diono radian rxt in third row. The first is 7, weighing 55 lbs, and 48” tall. Second is 5yo, 46 lbs, 44” tall. Both are installed with seatbelt.

So I just re-read the Diono rxt installation book, and it looks like I am ok to tether the RF Diono to the seat track of the front seat, but not to tether to anything but a proper anchor in the third row. So, if there is only one anchor back there, which I have never seen, btw, the final seat with no anchor will just go without top tether, as the directions say it meets safety standards with and without tether.

So, what remains is that I need a booster for my 7yo, who has outgrown the Diono height wise.

I sure appreciate your help in this. I still can’t believe I was led astray by an inspector. I really hope no one dies because of her bad advice.

I forgot to mention, I am searching for narrow boosters, because at some point, I may need to go three across in that back row. It’s why I got Dionos in the first place, I just wish I had known about the low height restriction.

jjordan

Often fire fighters are not certified technicians, but nonetheless give out car seat advice because somehow word got around that you can get car seats inspected at fire stations and they don't want to disappoint people. Would you mind taking a minute to search here and see if the person who advised you is listed on the searchable tech registry?
search tool

Oh, no. She’s not here. This was several years ago up north, and there’s no way I’d remember who it was. But she advertised and lots of people I know went to see her. She wasn’t actually an emergency personnel, but met there for the space.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC