Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moving on from diono radian rxt - need recommendations

So I am one of the poor saps who bought the diono radian rxt for all the kids, only to realize even my short children outgrow it for height before the weight limit. I need help finding another narrow seat that I can use in the back of a Toyota sienna, as one day we might still have to do three in a row back there. My son is about to turn 8, so do I still need to search for a seat with 5pt harness, or should I just move on to boosters? Please help. Thank you.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Moving on from diono radian rxt - need recommendations

At 8, kids are generally more than ready for a booster, assuming there are no special needs to consider. What are the ages/heights/weights of all your kids, and where are they in the van now?
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

I only have one ready to move out of the diono. He's between 50 and 60 pounds. Not sure how tall he is, but tall enough to outgrow the diono wings. He is in the third row of the van.

CPS Fanatic

What year is your Sienna? Do you have the Radians tethered? (Most (all?) years don’t have 3 tether anchors back there.) Please make sure your harnessed children are tethered in the locations that allow tether anchor use, and that they’re tethered appropriately.

For a narrow high back booster, try the Harmony Dreamtime. If you think he’s ready for a backless booster (most 8 year olds are) a Harmony Youth Booster or Cosco Rise would also be a good choice.

I only have two tethered in the back.

It's a 2011

CPS Fanatic

There’s only one tether anchor in the 3rd row. Tethers are very important for harnessed forward facers. Can we help you figure out a way to get all your kids in there safely?

See the “Why should I use it?” section here: https://carseatblog.com/9226/what-is-a-tether/

You say there is only one tether, however, when I got it checked at a fire station, I was told I could tether to anything that is bolted to the frame. So they should both be fine. Was the safety inspector wrong?? Because that’s is very concerning.

Also, I am looking to replace a Diono, so it won’t be an issue. Are highback boosters tethered? I’ve never used one before.

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by starrlight97 View Post
    You say there is only one tether, however, when I got it checked at a fire station, I was told I could tether to anything that is bolted to the frame. So they should both be fine. Was the safety inspector wrong?? Because that’s is very concerning.
    Yes, that’s wrong, and it is concerning.

Can you tell us ages/weights/heights of everyone in the second and 3rd rows, and what car seats you already have? We can probably come up with a way to get everyone in safely, and minimize car seat purchases. It will probably mean moving kids around, which is why I hesitate to recommend a booster right now.

I have an infant in a britax baby bucket seat in the middle row. I have a 3 yo rear facing in a Diono radian rxt. She’s 29 pounds and the seat is connected with LATCH also in middle row. I have two kids forward facing in Diono radian rxt in third row. The first is 7, weighing 55 lbs, and 48” tall. Second is 5yo, 46 lbs, 44” tall. Both are installed with seatbelt.

So I just re-read the Diono rxt installation book, and it looks like I am ok to tether the RF Diono to the seat track of the front seat, but not to tether to anything but a proper anchor in the third row. So, if there is only one anchor back there, which I have never seen, btw, the final seat with no anchor will just go without top tether, as the directions say it meets safety standards with and without tether.

So, what remains is that I need a booster for my 7yo, who has outgrown the Diono height wise.

I sure appreciate your help in this. I still can’t believe I was led astray by an inspector. I really hope no one dies because of her bad advice.

I forgot to mention, I am searching for narrow boosters, because at some point, I may need to go three across in that back row. It’s why I got Dionos in the first place, I just wish I had known about the low height restriction.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Often fire fighters are not certified technicians, but nonetheless give out car seat advice because somehow word got around that you can get car seats inspected at fire stations and they don't want to disappoint people. Would you mind taking a minute to search here and see if the person who advised you is listed on the searchable tech registry?
    search tool
    Cutie #1 (11 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (9 years) riding in a Recaro Probooster

Cutie #3 (6 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (4 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (1 year) riding in a Nuna Rava

Oh, no. She’s not here. This was several years ago up north, and there’s no way I’d remember who it was. But she advertised and lots of people I know went to see her. She wasn’t actually an emergency personnel, but met there for the space.

Do you think the turbobooster would suit my needs? It’s on sale for prime day.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Turbobooster is not usually good for 3 across.
    Cutie #1 (11 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (9 years) riding in a Recaro Probooster

Cutie #3 (6 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (4 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (1 year) riding in a Nuna Rava