Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Outgrown Booster, or not?

I have a super tall 9 year old. She is 59" and weighs about 85 lbs. She doesn't fit well in her Frontier - the shoulder strap fits too low and the head piece is raised all the way up. but she can't pass the 5 step test in my 2012 CRV- the shoulder belt sits too far forward and cuts at neck. I need another seat for my car- the primary car- but I need one that fits heights over 57"? or do I? She seems to have a good fit with her Even Flow Amp in this picture, but it says 57" is the max and I haven't found a backless for reasonable price (under $50) that fits children taller than 57". Should I keep using the even flow amp until she passes the 5 point test? or find something else, and what?

(the parkway backless is in babysitters car, and she has an incognito in husbands Tacoma)
    TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Outgrown Booster, or not?

Could she move the Parkway, or could you get another Incognito?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

Moderator - CPS Technician

Using a seat over the recommended height limit would be a decision for the manufacturer. Call Evenflo and ask.
    Cutie #1 (11 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (9 years) riding in a Recaro Probooster

Cutie #3 (6 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (4 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (1 year) riding in a Nuna Rava

I want to keep the sturdier seat in babysitters car because it’s smaller car (older Mazda 2) and doesn’t feel as safe to me. Although she’s only in it once every week maybe. So that might not be the best place for the best seat.
    I was told my issue with the seat shoulder-belt wouldn’t be corrected well by another incognito. And it’s true that the should belt is so far forward that she has to sit a bit higher for it to fall in the right place. I tried to attach a picture but I can’t see that it’s there.
    Also I’ve sent evenflo a message asking for their info
    Last edited by momemmie; 06-28-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Carseat Crazy

I recently did a bit of research on boosters that have a 63" height limit because I have a very tall niece. The two backless boosters with that height limit are the Diono Hip and Peg Perego Shuttle. I am seeing the Hip for under $30 at Walmart and Jet and $35 on Amazon. The Shuttle does look pricey!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag