Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Front vs rear facing

So I've put some thought into this... I've owned several car and noticed the rear seat of the car itself generally sits at different angles for passenger comfort. This in essence changes how a car seat sits on that surface, some seats lay with the level line perfect, and others have the seat unlevel no matter how much you adjust. I find my dear son 11 months old dear facing having his head hang down onto his chest often when he sleeps because of this. At 12 months would he not be most comfortable and safer due to the fact that this seat reclines better forward facing in my car? The line levels out, and he falls into more of a hammock position to support his head entirely... vs now he has little to no head support from the seat at all even on its max setting.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Front vs rear facing

Hi there!

What seat and car do you have?

No, at 12 months he wouldn't be safer forward facing, but I bet there are ways we can help you get the recline line parallel to the ground that are approved by your manual, such as using a rolled towel or pool noodle. Let us know what you have, and we'll be happy to help.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100.6#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces
    in a 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser and my 2017 Volvo XC90

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

Re: Front vs rear facing

I agree with Wendy here—there are definite, approved ways to level a rear-facing carseat. So, tell us your carseat and vehicle and even post a pic from right outside your car looking in and we'll be able to help.