Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ride Safer Vest

Ride Safer Vest

I have an upcoming road trip with a 2 and 4 year old. Primarily for space reasons, we were considering getting the 4 year old this Vest (with tether) https://shop.saferide4kids.com/produ...er-travel-vest.

Compared to a premium car seat (Clek, for example), what is lost safety wise by going with this? Obviously some side impact protection which could be mitigated by putting the child in the middle seat but what else? From a convenience standpoint, it seems difficult for the child to sleep without something to rest their head on and also maybe a little clunkier to get in and out. What else am I missing? How is this less safe than a full car seat?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Ride Safer Vest

It basically passes the same testing as a carseat (it's tested as a booster seat, but it has a crotch strap and a top tether). It's got no shell, so yes, nothing around the child, but it has better head excursion numbers since the child doesn't sit as high as in a Clek. I wouldn't worry about a safety difference unless, and it's a HUGE unless, the child won't sit properly. I'd want someone in the back with the four year old to make sure they're sitting as they should be, and the company recommends it as well.

It can be slept in. Locking the belt and using the tether and crotch strap will help. It also comes with a head support pillow that could help.

Why not just use a carseat? Most kids find them more comfortable than the vest, and easier to deal with.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 100#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 50", 70#, Nuna Aaces, Safety 1st Incognito
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The vest distributes weight like a harness, not a booster, though the child does need to kind of stay in position (there is some leeway- as long as the child doesn't introduce a lot of slack or undo the belt buckle or remove the belt from the guides the child can safely move around a bit.) I haven't found my kids to have a problem sleeping in it. It is a bit longer getting in and out, not something I'd want to do every day ideally, but it's great for travel or taxis. https://carseatblog.com/43470/2017-r...ey-delightful/
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 6
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    It basically passes the same testing as a carseat (it's tested as a booster seat, but it has a crotch strap and a top tether). It's got no shell, so yes, nothing around the child, but it has better head excursion numbers since the child doesn't sit as high as in a Clek. I wouldn't worry about a safety difference unless, and it's a HUGE unless, the child won't sit properly. I'd want someone in the back with the four year old to make sure they're sitting as they should be, and the company recommends it as well.

It can be slept in. Locking the belt and using the tether and crotch strap will help. It also comes with a head support pillow that could help.

Why not just use a carseat? Most kids find them more comfortable than the vest, and easier to deal with.

Wendy
    The addition of the vest would serve two purposes. A) Saving space on the road trip B) Have an extra portable "car seat" to swap between the cars.

But after I posted this, I found the Immi Go hence my posting here https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?288404-Immi-Go. So that seems more interesting to me right now...