Ride Safer Vest

1iww

I have an upcoming road trip with a 2 and 4 year old. Primarily for space reasons, we were considering getting the 4 year old this Vest (with tether) https://shop.saferide4kids.com/products/ridesafer-travel-vest.

Compared to a premium car seat (Clek, for example), what is lost safety wise by going with this? Obviously some side impact protection which could be mitigated by putting the child in the middle seat but what else? From a convenience standpoint, it seems difficult for the child to sleep without something to rest their head on and also maybe a little clunkier to get in and out. What else am I missing? How is this less safe than a full car seat?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It basically passes the same testing as a carseat (it's tested as a booster seat, but it has a crotch strap and a top tether). It's got no shell, so yes, nothing around the child, but it has better head excursion numbers since the child doesn't sit as high as in a Clek. I wouldn't worry about a safety difference unless, and it's a HUGE unless, the child won't sit properly. I'd want someone in the back with the four year old to make sure they're sitting as they should be, and the company recommends it as well.

It can be slept in. Locking the belt and using the tether and crotch strap will help. It also comes with a head support pillow that could help.

Why not just use a carseat? Most kids find them more comfortable than the vest, and easier to deal with.

Wendy

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The vest distributes weight like a harness, not a booster, though the child does need to kind of stay in position (there is some leeway- as long as the child doesn't introduce a lot of slack or undo the belt buckle or remove the belt from the guides the child can safely move around a bit.) I haven't found my kids to have a problem sleeping in it. It is a bit longer getting in and out, not something I'd want to do every day ideally, but it's great for travel or taxis. https://carseatblog.com/43470/2017-...with-delighter-booster-arent-they-delightful/

1iww

It basically passes the same testing as a carseat (it's tested as a booster seat, but it has a crotch strap and a top tether). It's got no shell, so yes, nothing around the child, but it has better head excursion numbers since the child doesn't sit as high as in a Clek. I wouldn't worry about a safety difference unless, and it's a HUGE unless, the child won't sit properly. I'd want someone in the back with the four year old to make sure they're sitting as they should be, and the company recommends it as well.

It can be slept in. Locking the belt and using the tether and crotch strap will help. It also comes with a head support pillow that could help.

Why not just use a carseat? Most kids find them more comfortable than the vest, and easier to deal with.

Wendy

The addition of the vest would serve two purposes. A) Saving space on the road trip B) Have an extra portable "car seat" to swap between the cars.

But after I posted this, I found the Immi Go hence my posting here https://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?288404-Immi-Go. So that seems more interesting to me right now...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC