I had a revelation moment with my carseats

Mama!

I went out last night, drug the como in to be reboxed for pickup, and reinstalled Ds's AO RF.

I was shocked at 1. how light it is compared to como
2. how quickly and easily I was able to get it w/latch RF (after hanging around you people for so long :love:)
I was perfectly happy with the upright recline as well.
3. How much easier its going to be to get him in and out of there than the Como was.

Is it possible that my poor AO has fallen back into favor with me? :p I have had it installed FF in 3rd row, just as a spare carseat. I've been quietly enduring the wrestling of getting 33 lb ds in and out of the Como (and actually have been climbing in from the opposite side of the van infront of ds's regent to get him in!) It was actually somewhat easier than trying to do it from his own side.

Let's face it. I'm short. He's heavy. The van is tall. The como is super tall.

Would I be a terrible person if I chose to use the AO RF in the end? I do plan on trying the next Como and checking the lockoffs, but if they're defective I will send it back for a refund.

I am really actually considering getting a regent w/recline bar after he outgrows the AO (if the Como doenst pan out.)

I feel so crappy letting him ride in the AO now, but man its going to be so much easier for a few days.

I guess I want to know if a properly fitted carseat/properly installed is as safe as the next carseat. If we use the RF AO installed properly and adjusted properly, he's going to be just as safe as the Como? Or am I dreaming?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, you're right. The AO is just as safe as the Como. There's nothing magical about the Como that makes it safer RFing. However FFing it will last a lot longer. 4.5 torso inches longer and 30 harnessed pounds longer. RFing, though, they both have 35 pounds and tall shells. So RFing one is no better than the other.

Wendy

Mama!

THat's what I thought.

We'd do a Regent or other HWH seat after the AO, so that's no big deal.

ZephyrBlue

I think it comes down to what you think, personally. There is the old standby argument that all seats are equally safe it they fit your child, your vehicle and you use them correctly 100% of the time. And there's the information that Dorel knowingly made AND sold seats that they knew were dangerous, to make a buck.

I honestly don't have much confidence in Recaro right now- I think that they are being irresponsible about this whole lock-off fiasco, but hopefully no children have died or suffered a severe injury because of it. This issue is a definite safety problem, and there is potential for injury. We'll see how they handle it.

If I were you, honestly, I would get a Britax convertible and then a Regent when he passes the Britax RF limit. But that's just my :twocents: I'm loving putting my DS in/out of the BV compared with hefting him up into the Como in the van :thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Don't feel bad...the really crappy AO's were the ones a couple years back when the straps were mega twisty and the slots were super short and the price was way too high...if you like it, you like it, no worries :)

Mama!

I purchased this AO this past spring..maybe March? I could look it up.

We havent had twisty strap issues, or fit issues. It fit him great, I just wanted something different, and I wanted to spend money on something that would last him.

Here's the problem tho..if I buy a Britax convertible now (like a MA or a DC) then he'd have to FF b/c he's over the 33 lb mark. Unless they can sell me a brand new one that claims 35 lb RF limit. Wouldnt that be beside the point? To put him in a convertible that he'd have to FF in? Or am I confuzzled?

ZephyrBlue

Hmm, I thought that the new 35lb RF Britax seats were already available. Ugh. :confused:

If you feel that he's safe in the AO and want to keep him RF for those last 2 lbs, then that's what you should go with.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Advocate ($400) and Diplomat (mini Boulevard) have 35 pound limits, but the big and more budget friendly Britaxes are still 33 pounds.

Wendy

Mama!

I didnt know if there were newer ones on the shelf that said 35 lb rf for Britax. I would have bought one to begin with (instead of the AO) but they were all 33 lbs RF and the AO claimed 35.

At the time, he was gaining weight far faster than he was gaining height, so I picked the AO.

arly1983

LOL, honey, you sound like me.

I tried every high end seat I could get my hands on and I am IN LOVE with my triumph advance. Its not perfect but it is perfect for us. If the AO works for you and your situation, use it for the next 2 lbs RFing and see what has come out by then. I know we are all waiting to see what the truefit is going to be like and graco has a HWH coming out too.

Mama!

LOL, honey, you sound like me.

I tried every high end seat I could get my hands on and I am IN LOVE with my triumph advance. Its not perfect but it is perfect for us. If the AO works for you and your situation, use it for the next 2 lbs RFing and see what has come out by then. I know we are all waiting to see what the truefit is going to be like and graco has a HWH coming out too.

I just feel like a moron:rolleyes: for sweating out all these little details (all in his best interest and of keeping him safest and comfortable) and here I am back in the crappy ugly AO :cool::rolleyes: and I actually was in wide eyed wonder to have it installed rock solid, and I could see over in it. It wasnt over my head!:love:

All of this, of course, is pending the replacement como. But I have a sinking suspicion that we wont keep it. I'm betting my evening chocolate that the "lockoffs", er...belt guides:rolleyes: wont work on this one either.

ZephyrBlue

I'm betting my evening chocolate that the "lockoffs", er...belt guides wont work on this one either.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm thinking the same thing. Otherwise why would Katherine be sending a locking clip to use, just in case? And why is the engineering team working on a design change that will make them grip the belt better if the ones she's sending out now work perfectly fine?

Mama!

I hate to be pessimistic, but I'm thinking the same thing. Otherwise why would Katherine be sending a locking clip to use, just in case? And why is the engineering team working on a design change that will make them grip the belt better if the ones she's sending out now work perfectly fine?

Methinks she's trying to cover her arse :rolleyes:

arly1983

To me there was no one thing that made me dislike the Como (except maybe the customer service, IMHO) it just seemed to be a combination of little things...

crunchierthanthou

Don't feel bad...the really crappy AO's were the ones a couple years back when the straps were mega twisty and the slots were super short and the price was way too high...if you like it, you like it, no worries :)

:yeahthat: and the fact that it doesn't last nearly as long as it should ff and makes a lousy booster. Rf, it's great for a 35 lb seat if you can get a good install. :)

I'd probably keep using it for the next few lbs and then get the Regent. You already know he's sn and will likely need harnessed as long as you can.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I don't recommend the AO because it doesn't last long forward-facing and because I think it costs too much for what it is.

You already own it, so cost is a moot point. You're using it rear-facing so the short strap slots are moot.

If you love it, keep loving it!

Mama!

I am proud to say that it is installed Rock solid with RF latch, and NO POOL NOODLES :love::love:

somebody gimme some props. I'm the mama who a month ago thought I had to have pool noodles to get an acceptable RF install :whistle::eek:

I think I'm gonna feel the AO love since I already own the ugly thing. (Seriously, the cover looks like a 40 yr old tweed jacket.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC