Question Wide belt path not working with Keyfit 30?

baugustyniak

I'm due with my 5th baby in 2 weeks. We just bought a Nissan NV 3500. I am trying to install my KF30 with the lap/should belt, as my 2 year old is still RF in her radian and the two wont fit side by side (the only latch option is the center seat). The base will NOT get tight, and it seems as though there is just too much of a gap from the belt path to where it threads in the base. There is a good 3 inch gap between the base and where seat belt latches. Any advise? I am going to call Chicco in the morning to see if they can suggest anything. I want to keep my 2 year old rear facing as long as possible, so I would rather by a new infant carrier with a wider base than turn her ff and see if the KF30 and Radian can fit side by side. Thanks!

ADS

baugustyniak

Yes- but I also read that Chicco doesn’t allow a locking clip? I tried to install it with latch next to my rf radian but the handle hits the radian and won’t lock in.

I really don’t want to instal without a base. It’s just not practical for me.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Right, they don't allow a locking clip. Doesn't even come with one. But you used the lockoff, correct?

Does your NV have three seats in each row?

Can you move kids around?

Wendy

baugustyniak

Yes- used the lock off. The base still moves literally 5 inches or more left to right at belt path.

The first 2 rows have 3 seats- latch in middle. The 4th row has 4 seats.

Currently in the second row I have rf radian ( 2 yo) outboard- then looking to do the keyfit either middle or opposite outboard.

3 rd has a Britax fb booster (9 yo) outboard- then ff radian 3 yo)then Britax frontier (5 yo) Noone in 4th row and I’d prefer to keep it that way.

I can’t find any info online about varying “hip” widths for the seats but I bought an angle adjust for the rf radian to see if that helps. I only tried installing the kf with latch in the center next to the rf radian (I thin), so I’m going to try that option too.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Are your buckle stalks long? Maybe twisting them would improve the geometry?

If not, have you tried scooting the seat as close to the buckle as possible rather than centered?

baugustyniak

No, the belt stalks are not long. I have tried moving to base to one side and nothing makes a difference. I *think* I have attached a picture to show how much room is between the base and the belt clip.

I ordered a recline adjuster for the radian, and it should be here Saturday to see if that will allow me to fit the radian and KF next to each other. If so, I can install with latch no problem.

Chicco wasn't too much help. They want pictures of the base to see if it is faulty, before they offer any help, which will take 2-3 business days for a response. And they want purchase info but I can't provide that as it was a gift, from toys r us and there is zero chance I can get that info off my registry.

I would be happy to buy another infant carrier, but everything I can find, the KF should work. So I wouldn't know what infant carrier to buy, as I wouldn't be able to return it if it didn't work in the vehicle.

Attachments

• Car Seat 3.jpg
    Car Seat 3.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 21

Calleiah

Hi there! I also have an NV! Ok, first you need to get rid of the mat underneath. Chicco doesnt allow them, and they can mask a bad install. Second, I really recommend twisting the buckle stalk. It will turn 2 full times. That will lower the buckle down from the belt path. You will be able to get a tighter install. I've literally not found a seat that's incompatible with the NV, you just have to know the tricks.

baugustyniak

I’ve never even heard of twisting the stalk- that’s recommended? I see so many comments on no install problems on the nv so I was really upset when it wouldn’t install. Have you installed one with the seatbelt? I’ll remove the mat and twist the stalk. I know Chicco is particular about after market products- so I was waiting to hear if they recommend twisting the stalk. Thank you SO much!

Calleiah

It's common practice and as far as I know still currently taught that the buckle stalk can be twisted up to 3 full revolutions to lower the buckle from the belt path. Are you a member of the Nissan NV Families page on FB? I have a video in there on installing a Radian where I show how to twist down the buckle stalk.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC