Question 1995 VW Eurovan seatbelt question

U

Unregistered

We just purchased a 1995 VW Eurovan. It only has lap belts on the rear seat, which would be fine, but the female end of the belt is too long, do I can’t get a tight fit. I’ve never experienced such a long female end before - it’s probably 6 inches long and obviously won’t allow the seat to lock. My son is in a Britax Clicktight and five and forward facing. Is there a way to shorten the female end of the belt safely? Or would it be safe to replace the belts entirely? Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Did you twist the stalk up to three full turns?

Does your child fit rear facing? That would be ideal without top tether anchors.

Also, I'd start thinking of plans now for when a booster is needed, as you can't use a booster with a lap belt only. Replacing the belts may be an option. That'd probably be better asked on a VW forum. I'd see if you can get lap and shoulder belts if you can, so that way you can use a booster at some point.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Ah, I didn’t know that you could twist the belt, that could do the trick. I was always under the understanding that you should not twist the belt.

He’s too big to rear face in the Britax. I guess I could consider a new seat, but he’s already over 40 lbs, so not sure that would last long.

I asked one place about seat belt replacement and they said that they didn’t do it for insurance purposes. I wonder if the dealer would? I’ll check into it.

Happy for any other thoughts on the matter. Thanks for your help.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Twist the stalk, not the belt itself. The stalk is the part you said was six inches tall, the part you buckle into.

Check into places that do wheelchair modifications. They may have good ideas, if they can't do it themselves.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC