Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Spica seat Canada

My 3 year old is scheduled to be in a spica for 6 weeks later this year. We are in Canada, his surgery will be in Hamilton, ON. (We live in Waterloo, so we have to transport him home in the car and need to know we can do so safely!)

The hospital's information suggests that we bring in our current seat (Marathon) and they will try to mold the cast to fit it, but they cannot guarantee that. I'm trying to get more information from them about whether they can assist with a rental if we need it, but haven't had any luck so far, so I wanted to seek advice here in the meantime.

I have seen the links to the Wallenberg, but it isn't clear to me from their website whether it is available/legal in Canada. Does anyone know?

I also see that Maxi-Cosi has the Opal HD and that in some locations they run rental programs for it. I've contacted them and am waiting for an answer about whether that would be possible here.

Is anyone aware of any other options or are there other resources I could also be looking into? Has anyone had experience with a spica in a Britax Marathon? I feel like I should plan for another option in case that doesn't work, despite the hospital's advice to just do that. I'd rather not be scrambling at the last minute (and therefore probably spending more $ than if I had planned ahead).

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Spica seat Canada

As an update to this, Maxi-Cosi did reply and said that the Opal HD is only available in Europe. (Someone on their Facebook page is giving out bad information, I guess, as they have replied to many people there suggesting that American & Canadian parents can participate in their rental program.)

I have a phone number for a retailer in Toronto that carries the EZ-On vest so we can pursue that option, but I would strongly prefer to use an actual seat rather than just a harness/vest. It just doesn't appear that there are any spica seats currently available/legal in Canada.