Question a bit of dilema

mumof2

I recently had my car writtten off, my 10 year old was in the back in a half booster (the diono monterery) which I Loved as had a good weight limit. also had the full booster mode in the car..I havent used the seats since the accident

my 10 year old ia about 4'8" and around 99lbs. megan no booster.jpg megan no booster 2.jpg

photo is her in my husband's car.we still need to get me car so no idea how she will fit in that

do you think she should still be in a booster. the only one available (I live in NZ) she is just on the height limit although I am not sure how important overall height is in one..

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The fit in these pictures looks probably acceptable but it's hard to say from photos sometimes. Make sure she passes The 5-step Test in both cars, fit can vary between vehicles.

Height limits... Well, many (not all) manufacturers would say follow them, but I'd personally choose correct fit over the limit of a booster over incorrect fit without one for my kid.

If you can get the Safety 1st Incognito there, it's a really great intermediate option for big kids who almost don't need a booster but do just a bit longer.

mumof2

just had a look at the incognito and it is $113!!!! (almost as much as the evenflpo AMP booster) yes carseats are expensive here in NZ. and even though we do sell half boosters they only go to about 80lbs

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The good news is that it's highly portable between cars, would be comfortable, and should do her until she doesn't need any booster in any car (she's in that stage where she might pass in a few but will likely need one the majority of the time for at least another year.)

mumof2

oh just had another look and it ships from the USA so as far as I know, it wouldn't even be legal here

mumof2

so I spoke to a police officer here in NZ and he said because she legally doesn't need anything but having a belt fit is important at her age the incognito would be fine for her to use incognito.jpg

o
it was literally that or nothing.

Attachments

• megan incognito.jpg
    megan incognito.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 32

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The lap belt fit looks really good, but I don't know where her knees are bending. Many kids don't have the thigh length so their knees bend over the edge of the vehicle seat properly. The shoulder belt looks annoying, but not dangerous.

There are American seats sold in NZ and AFAIK they're allowed there. It's not like the Middle East where anything goes, but you're not stuck with AUS/NZ seats either. Like Anne said, the Incognito would be perfect and it weighs next to nothing. If you have friends/relatives in the US who would ship one to you, it would definitely be less than the $113 you saw, but it would still be spendy given the size of the box needed.

mumof2

yes her legs are bent :)...the bigger photo she was slouching so made her sit up and the belt fitted her a lot better.. I did manage to get one off eBay for less than $80 NZ....I am just glad I was able to find something for her :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC