Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Thread: a bit of dilema

Carseat Crazy

a bit of dilema

I recently had my car writtten off, my 10 year old was in the back in a half booster (the diono monterery) which I Loved as had a good weight limit. also had the full booster mode in the car..I havent used the seats since the accident

my 10 year old ia about 4'8" and around 99lbs.megan no booster.jpgmegan no booster 2.jpg

photo is her in my husband's car.we still need to get me car so no idea how she will fit in that

do you think she should still be in a booster. the only one available (I live in NZ) she is just on the height limit although I am not sure how important overall height is in one..

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: a bit of dilema

She needs to pass the 5 step test for any seating position she uses.

https://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

Now I realize you're not in the U.S. but of course the 5 step test still applies. I would start with that. Most kids need a booster at least until 4'9"
    PEG - Gramma to:
    Hannah - 16 - Seatbelt! Reya - 1.5 4Ever/4Ever
    Brett - 15 - Seatbelt Nolan - 2.5 - 4Ever/Fllo
    Matt- 11 - Seatbelt Baby Boy due 1/17/19 Pippa
    Griffin - 6 - Parkway SG

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The fit in these pictures looks probably acceptable but it's hard to say from photos sometimes. Make sure she passes The 5-step Test in both cars, fit can vary between vehicles.

Height limits... Well, many (not all) manufacturers would say follow them, but I'd personally choose correct fit over the limit of a booster over incorrect fit without one for my kid.

If you can get the Safety 1st Incognito there, it's a really great intermediate option for big kids who almost don't need a booster but do just a bit longer.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

just had a look at the incognito and it is $113!!!! (almost as much as the evenflpo AMP booster) yes carseats are expensive here in NZ. and even though we do sell half boosters they only go to about 80lbs

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

The good news is that it's highly portable between cars, would be comfortable, and should do her until she doesn't need any booster in any car (she's in that stage where she might pass in a few but will likely need one the majority of the time for at least another year.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

oh just had another look and it ships from the USA so as far as I know, it wouldn't even be legal here

Carseat Crazy

so I spoke to a police officer here in NZ and he said because she legally doesn't need anything but having a belt fit is important at her age the incognito would be fine for her to use incognito.jpg

o
    it was literally that or nothing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Admin - CPST Instructor murphydog77's Avatar

The lap belt fit looks really good, but I don't know where her knees are bending. Many kids don't have the thigh length so their knees bend over the edge of the vehicle seat properly. The shoulder belt looks annoying, but not dangerous.

There are American seats sold in NZ and AFAIK they're allowed there. It's not like the Middle East where anything goes, but you're not stuck with AUS/NZ seats either. Like Anne said, the Incognito would be perfect and it weighs next to nothing. If you have friends/relatives in the US who would ship one to you, it would definitely be less than the $113 you saw, but it would still be spendy given the size of the box needed.

Carseat Crazy

yes her legs are bent ...the bigger photo she was slouching so made her sit up and the belt fitted her a lot better.. I did manage to get one off eBay for less than $80 NZ....I am just glad I was able to find something for her