Is rear facing before age 1 not a law in every state?

mum2two

I'm reading a thread on reddit and a husband is upset that his wife won't rearface his 10 month old DD for driving as she prefers to drive her around in her Mazda MX5. They have a Subaru but the wife likes the muscle car and insists the baby is fine forward facing in the Mazda. I thought no matter what a child under age 1 had to be rearfacing until at least age 1, and the AAP recommendations are to age 2?

My kids are older but I am shocked that only 8 states require rearfacing at all (which is what they are saying in the thread).

The husband would like evidence and legal backup to make the wife stop driving the baby in the sports car.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There are instances where that would be legal, yes. Not all states require rear facing until one, or two. Many make no mention of age in the least. Many are simple proper use and don't mention rear facing separately. Just proper use until X years old. There are a few seats without a minimum age to forward face. So for those seats in those states, it would not be illegal.

Wendy

mum2two

Apparently she is using a combination seat FF against the specs in the manual, but doesn't care. They bought the Subaru when they planned the baby, but mom is now chosing to drive baby in the sports car,,she says the Subaru drives too slowly??? Dad also reports she doesn't care about the car seat rules. I am shocked that all states don't require RF until at least age 1, I thought that was a law a long time ago.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC