Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Is rear facing before age 1 not a law in every state?

I'm reading a thread on reddit and a husband is upset that his wife won't rearface his 10 month old DD for driving as she prefers to drive her around in her Mazda MX5. They have a Subaru but the wife likes the muscle car and insists the baby is fine forward facing in the Mazda. I thought no matter what a child under age 1 had to be rearfacing until at least age 1, and the AAP recommendations are to age 2?

My kids are older but I am shocked that only 8 states require rearfacing at all (which is what they are saying in the thread).

The husband would like evidence and legal backup to make the wife stop driving the baby in the sports car.
    Single Mom and SLP

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Is rear facing before age 1 not a law in every state?

There are instances where that would be legal, yes. Not all states require rear facing until one, or two. Many make no mention of age in the least. Many are simple proper use and don't mention rear facing separately. Just proper use until X years old. There are a few seats without a minimum age to forward face. So for those seats in those states, it would not be illegal.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Re: Is rear facing before age 1 not a law in every state?

Apparently she is using a combination seat FF against the specs in the manual, but doesn't care. They bought the Subaru when they planned the baby, but mom is now chosing to drive baby in the sports car,,she says the Subaru drives too slowly??? Dad also reports she doesn't care about the car seat rules. I am shocked that all states don't require RF until at least age 1, I thought that was a law a long time ago.
    Single Mom and SLP