Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Which child should ride in the middle front seat?

We are purchasing a new truck, 2018 F150. We are a Ford family but after test driving all brands of trucks it was confirmed it would be our only option. The F150 appears to be the only truck with a shoulder/HR in the front middle vs Chevy/Dodge lap only belt.

That said which child should ride in the front middle, aged: 4, 6, 8, and 9. Should one of the three smallest sit there in a 5-point harness or the oldest in a booster?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Which child should ride in the middle front seat?

Hi there.

I'd put your oldest in a backless booster there, since there's no top tether in that location for a harnessed seat. A backless booster will keep the oldest back an inch or two further.

Would this be your daily driver, or an occasional camping/hauling thing? Ideally it would not be a daily thing, as even with your nine year old in the front middle, that configuration is the best of the worst, rather than the best of the best.

(funny this should also come up, as I was just commenting to my husband that a 2007 Toyota Tundra surprised me by having a lap and shoulder belt and headrest in the front middle when I looked at a used one today. I don't even think Ford had them in 2007).

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Unregistered

It is a “just in case” arrangement. I’m a sahm and drive the family car (Ford Expedition) that we use when we are all together. Thanks for your feedback!

Unregistered

Also, for future reference. My FIL drives a regular (single) cab truck. According to the user manual there is a top tether behind both the middle and passenger seat. In that instance would a 5-point harness be preferred over the booster in the front middle?

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

If your kids fit in a five point harness, I'd do that with the tether over a booster, yes.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon