Booster for 2013 Explorer

JlynnB

Hi! Our family recently got certified to foster and adopt, and we also just traded our 2007 CRV for a 2013 Explorer. We found out today that we will be getting a 6 year old boy and his 9 month old sister on Monday. We already have 3 kids of our own, so I’m hoping to be able to fit a booster for the 6 year old in the middle of the second row next to a forward facing Radian R100 installed on the driver’s side (with latch). I tried our Cosco Topside there but it wasn’t a great fit. I’m sure our Bubblebum would work, but it is missing (probably at a neighbor’s) and I’d prefer something more comfortable and ideally high back. Our middle child is 4 1/2 and could use it down the road. Does anyone know if an Evenflo Amp would fit there? I don’t have any information about the size of the child so just looking for good options for that tiny center seat. We haven’t had the vehicle long enough to play around with it.

Thanks!

ADS

aporthole

Does your Explorer have the inflatable seat belts? How much does the forward-facing Diono rider weigh?

The Evenflo Amp does work in the center but I’m not sure if it will work with the Radian next to it on the driver’s side.

JlynnB

Thank you!

DS2 rides in the Radian; he’s 34 lbs. I can try a seat belt install to give a little more room. We do have inflatable seat belts in the second row outboard seats so it’s great that we had a convertible seat that is approved for those.

aporthole

With the inflatable belts, you won’t be able to do a belt install on the driver’s side and use the center seat as the driver side buckle overlaps with the center belt.
If your Diono was made prior to 2/27/2014 you can use lower anchors until kiddo weighs 48 lb (the lower anchor limit of your vehicle). If your Diono is newer than that date, your limit is 40 lb according to Diono.

JlynnB

Ugh. We just got the vehicle and I didn’t even notice the overlap when I did the latch install. Fortunately it’s not our main family car but that’s still disappointing. Down the road can I put an unlatched booster in that spot and still use the center seat? Our Radian was manufactured in 7/2014 and DD, almost 39 lbs, uses that seat sometimes so I put that in our minivan using a seatbelt install. I put a Tranzitions in the Explorer (using latch) instead. Th higher latch limit should definitely cover us until booster age.

Thanks for all of the info . I had tried to research the inflatable seatbelt issue before we bought the car but somehow never saw anything about the overlap. This is also our second Radian and I hadn’t realized the latch limit was 40.

aporthole

You can’t use both the driver side seat belt and center belt at the same time so even an un-LATCHed booster won’t work on the driver side with someone in the middle. Using a very slim high-LATCH limit seat on the driver side will buy you the most time but watch out for overlap. Fitting 2 of anything on that 60 split side is really, really difficult.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC