Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Booster for 2013 Explorer

Hi! Our family recently got certified to foster and adopt, and we also just traded our 2007 CRV for a 2013 Explorer. We found out today that we will be getting a 6 year old boy and his 9 month old sister on Monday. We already have 3 kids of our own, so Iím hoping to be able to fit a booster for the 6 year old in the middle of the second row next to a forward facing Radian R100 installed on the driverís side (with latch). I tried our Cosco Topside there but it wasnít a great fit. Iím sure our Bubblebum would work, but it is missing (probably at a neighborís) and Iíd prefer something more comfortable and ideally high back. Our middle child is 4 1/2 and could use it down the road. Does anyone know if an Evenflo Amp would fit there? I donít have any information about the size of the child so just looking for good options for that tiny center seat. We havenít had the vehicle long enough to play around with it.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Booster for 2013 Explorer

Does your Explorer have the inflatable seat belts? How much does the forward-facing Diono rider weigh?

The Evenflo Amp does work in the center but Iím not sure if it will work with the Radian next to it on the driverís side.

Carseat Crazy

Thank you!

DS2 rides in the Radian; heís 34 lbs. I can try a seat belt install to give a little more room. We do have inflatable seat belts in the second row outboard seats so itís great that we had a convertible seat that is approved for those.

CPS Technician

With the inflatable belts, you wonít be able to do a belt install on the driverís side and use the center seat as the driver side buckle overlaps with the center belt.
    If your Diono was made prior to 2/27/2014 you can use lower anchors until kiddo weighs 48 lb (the lower anchor limit of your vehicle). If your Diono is newer than that date, your limit is 40 lb according to Diono.

Carseat Crazy

Ugh. We just got the vehicle and I didnít even notice the overlap when I did the latch install. Fortunately itís not our main family car but thatís still disappointing. Down the road can I put an unlatched booster in that spot and still use the center seat? Our Radian was manufactured in 7/2014 and DD, almost 39 lbs, uses that seat sometimes so I put that in our minivan using a seatbelt install. I put a Tranzitions in the Explorer (using latch) instead. Th higher latch limit should definitely cover us until booster age.

Thanks for all of the info . I had tried to research the inflatable seatbelt issue before we bought the car but somehow never saw anything about the overlap. This is also our second Radian and I hadnít realized the latch limit was 40.

CPS Technician

You canít use both the driver side seat belt and center belt at the same time so even an un-LATCHed booster wonít work on the driver side with someone in the middle. Using a very slim high-LATCH limit seat on the driver side will buy you the most time but watch out for overlap. Fitting 2 of anything on that 60 split side is really, really difficult.