Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Retrofit tether to 1999 Saab 9-5 sedan

Hello,

I have a 99 Saab 9-5 sedan that did not come equipped tether anchors for forward facing seats, but they can be retrofitted given that the welded nut is present. The manual says that the tethers can be ordered and installed by a dealer, but Saab no longer exists, so this is not possible.

Is there a way to get the tethers other than raiding a junkyard, or can a tether be anchored to a different point somewhere in the trunk behind the seat? Even a part number for the tether retrofit kit would be extremely helpful and give me a place to start looking.

Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician

Re: Retrofit tether to 1999 Saab 9-5 sedan

Unfortunately there is no way to obtain the parts at this point. I’d suggest high capacity rear facing seats and going straight from rear-facing to booster between 5 and 6 years old.

I know the 2001-2003 9-5 sedan has a strict warning in the owner’s manual about requiring a securing strap for any rear facing seats installed in the center. I’m not sure if the same requirement applies to the 1999, but I’d suggest checking the owner’s manual carefully for such wording.

How old and big are your kids?

Unregistered

Yeah, unfortunate about the lack of parts. I may be able to find them in a junkyard eventually, given that they were standard on all 2001+ Saab 9-5. If you have a LATCH manual, do they list the part number? If so, would you mind providing it on the off chance I can find an old stock somewhere?

We can stay rear facing for a while. Daughter is 19 months and the Graco 4Ever we have is large enough for rear facing for a while, even though she's tall. We have a bit of time until forward facing is necessary, anyway, but I thought I'd look into this now given that finding the parts is likely impossible.

Is it safe to use the cargo anchors in the trunk (on the left and right side) for the tether if I pull the seat down and feed the tether strap behind, and then re-lock the seat?

CPS Fanatic

No, that’s not proven to be safe. (It’s not proven unsafe, either—it’s not tested.)

How big is your daughter currently? The 4Ever may be enough to get her to a good booster age and weight while still rear facing, if she’s on the lightweight side. If your junkyard plan doesn’t pan out, a Graco Extend2Fit will almost certainly keep her safely rear facing until she’s ready for a booster. Several other seats might, too, and who knows what will be on the market by the time it becomes a concern.

You might try posting what you need on Saab online forums, you may get lucky and find someone who had the retrofit done by doesn't need to use it anymore as their kids are older. I had that exact car and did the retrofit and if I still owned it I'd send it to you. I loved that car, was my 3rd Saab!
    Single Mom and SLP