Has he outgrown RF?

sacake

My child is 3 yrs, 9 mo. 34 lbs, 39.5” tall. RF in a marathon.
I cannot quite tell if he should be turned or if he still has a bit of room to grow. He’s nearing the 1” mark from the seat shell. Is there a way to attach pictures, so I can get some input?
Best I can measure, he is 1.25-1.5” away from the top of the shell. Is it better to wait until he is definitely at 1” or turn now so I’m not risking him being above the height limit
Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
When was your Marathon made? If it was made after 9/14, then it's 1" of headrest, not shell. If it's before that, it's shell.

At his age, I'd pat you on the back, say "great job!", and go ahead and turn him. That way you don't stress or miss it.

Wendy

sacake

Thank you, Wendy!
I will double check the date. I’m pretty sure it says shell, but I purchased in 12/14, so it’s probably right about when they changed that.
I was so hoping he’d make it to 4, but he has lasted longer RF than my other two, so I guess that’s a win. (I switched my oldest at 2.5 and middle child just shy of 3.5.)
Appreciate the reply.
Sarah

sacake

Ok, I flipped him around. Hate that! But I feel like he’s awfully close to the limit. Now I have a question about FF. Seat is in middle position of Honda Pilot. With the car headrest down, the top of the marathon is above the top of the seat back. Should I pull the headrest up?
My next youngest child is 10, so I’ve been dealing with boosters and haven’t had a FF seat in years!
Thank you.
Sarah

aporthole

What year is your Pilot? For 2009 and newer, leave the head restraint in its lowest position and route the tether over it, or you can remove the head restraint and keep it stored under the lift up panel in the cargo area.

If 2008 or older, you can also remove it, or leave it down and route the V tether around it. No need to raise the head restraint behind it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC