Question Bubblebum vs. RideSafer Travel Vest for travel (small 8-yr-old)

jessadam

Hello,

We have used the RideSafer Travel Vest (for travel and occasional car-pooling) for the past 4 years for our small & skinny 8-yr-old girl (just over 40Lbs, and just shy of 4ft tall). We love it. But she does complain that she's low down and can't see out the window, and it makes her really hot and sweaty -- these are both issues when we use it in Israel (hot and humid climate) for several weeks every summer. So I'm wondering if we should switch to a Bubblebum (we do own one), because it'll raise her up a little and she'll be a lot more comfortable. It's also lighter and slightly easier to travel with, although that's not a huge factor. Israel is notorious for having terrible drivers and lots of accidents, so I don't want to make any compromise on safety, even if it means she complains. The RSTV always "feels" safer to me, but I know the Bubblebum is an IIHS "Best Bet," so in theory it's just as safe, right? We usually do a couple of long-ish drives (3-4 hours at most), and the occasional short taxi ride, and she hardly ever falls asleep in the car. So assuming she's awake and upright and not squirming off the seat, is the Bubblebum just as safe as the RSTV?

Thank you!

ADS

aporthole

Personally, I would do the Bubblebum. Like you mentioned, it will be a bit easier to pack around and likely more comfortable for her. Either option is totally safe.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
You can use the Delighter booster with the RSTV, but that does kind of negate the easy to haul around benefit somewhat.

I definitely think either choice is ok at this age.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC