how to install car seat in a mercedes sprinter

U

Unregistered

Hi,

My mom has a mercedes sprinter retrofitted as a camper van and has 2 front seats. But there's an air bag at the front. Any way to get a car seat there for a 4 year old? There's a seat further back but it has a low back and no anchors anywhere. Any one have experience with this? thank you so much. Hoping her grandma can take her camping.

zan

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

There's generally no safe way to install a seat in an RV. Even if you can install a forward facing seat in that front seat with the seatbelt and top tether anchor, you have the projectiles in the rear coming forward to worry about. If you want to use a camper for camping, it's best to tow one behind a truck, that way people can ride safely in the truck, and the camper can be behind and the projectiles in it (toilet, sink, dishes, clothes, seats, etc.) are not a worry.

https://carseatblog.com/2493/a-bit-about-rvs/

Wendy

Stargate

If the rear seat is an actual original rear vehicle seat and has seatbelts that are properly anchored for an actual vehicle seat, then you could technically install a carseat there. However there probably won't be tether anchors (note: I don't know if by "no anchors anywhere" you mean tether anchors or latch), and as wendytthomas says even if you can install the carseat on that rearseat or in the front seat, an RV is simply not a safe vehicle in general with many projectile hazards.

The best option for everyone is to use a trailer camper towed behind a truck, as wendy suggests. The other safe option for your daughter (though not the camper occupants) is for her to be driven in a separate vehicle following the camper. I would not allow her to ride in the camper.

J

Josh

This is not helpful. Telling someone they have to buy another type of RV such as a towable is not really providing insight.
For a sprinter, you can disable the airbag in the front seat and some states will allow you to transport a child in the front seat. You can also try installing an additional seat unit in the floor and have it be removable when you do not need it. But it takes up a lot of room if you do need it. Basically it eats up all the floor space. Side seating is also not really an option. I have traveled with my son (6) in the bed area with my wife but it is not secure and makes me very nervous.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC