Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Forward facing slump

I recently bought an Evenflo Symphony Elite for my 2 year old and use it forward facing. His head slumps when he falls asleep, though, and he definitely doesn’t sleep as well as he usually does in long car rides because of this. I read the reviews stating to use a towel or pool noodle and I’ve done this but still have the same issue. Advice? Should I return this or is this symptomatic of a larger seat?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Forward facing slump

Hi there.

Using a pool noodle or towel is for rear facing only. You cannot use it forward facing. It can make the seat perform inadequately in a crash, resulting in injury or death.

Do you have the seat in the appropriate forward facing recline, and you've got the harness so that it passes the pinch test at the collarbone and at the hips? You've got the tether attached?

Generally, forward facing seats are more upright and cause more slump than rear facing seats. That's just due to their shape and the way they sit in the car. If you or he is very bothered by it, if he's under 40 pounds, 40 inches, and has more than one inch of headrest above his head in one of the bottom two headrest positions, you could turn him rear facing. That would help the slump, and make him safer as an added bonus. But you'd need to get the recline line parallel to the ground, so it may not fit front to back in your vehicle.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

4. Thank You from: