Question Forward facing slump

U

Unregistered

I recently bought an Evenflo Symphony Elite for my 2 year old and use it forward facing. His head slumps when he falls asleep, though, and he definitely doesn’t sleep as well as he usually does in long car rides because of this. I read the reviews stating to use a towel or pool noodle and I’ve done this but still have the same issue. Advice? Should I return this or is this symptomatic of a larger seat?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Using a pool noodle or towel is for rear facing only. You cannot use it forward facing. It can make the seat perform inadequately in a crash, resulting in injury or death.

Do you have the seat in the appropriate forward facing recline, and you've got the harness so that it passes the pinch test at the collarbone and at the hips? You've got the tether attached?

Generally, forward facing seats are more upright and cause more slump than rear facing seats. That's just due to their shape and the way they sit in the car. If you or he is very bothered by it, if he's under 40 pounds, 40 inches, and has more than one inch of headrest above his head in one of the bottom two headrest positions, you could turn him rear facing. That would help the slump, and make him safer as an added bonus. But you'd need to get the recline line parallel to the ground, so it may not fit front to back in your vehicle.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC