3 Across Configurations - 2011 Mazda CX-9

briwilliams

Hello!

I have a 6.5 year old who is approximately 48" inches and 48 pounds (FF). My 4 year old is about 40" and 41 pounds (FF). My 22 month old is 33" and 25 pounds (RF).

I am trying to figure out a 3 across configuration in the second row of our 2011 Mazda CX-9. I tried several configurations of the Graco Snug-Ride 35 (with and without base), Evenflo AMP High Back Booster, and the Graco Backless Turbo Booster. It is just too tight for my 6.5 year old to buckle himself in the middle seat.

I am thinking we'll need to go with a 5 point harness for the one of both of the older kids. I have several which I use in our other vehicle but they're just too wide for this seat. My measurements say it is 54", specs say 56" wide. My trouble is finding a narrow harnessed booster. The other part that is tricky (at least for me) is that there are only LATCH hooks on the outer two seats. The middle seat has that two part shoulder and lap belt (something I've never used before - looks like the one piece locks in and stays put in between rides (if we went with using the belt for that seat).

Anyways, besides the Clek's and Diono's (and anything else in that price range), what would fit and not require seat belt buckling every ride? If I absolutely need to buy one of the $300 ones, I will, I just really would like to avoid dropping $900 to make this work. We'll go back to one in the third row if this just can't work within our limitations but really hoping to have the trunk space available regularly.

Thank you!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Your four year old should stay in a harnessed seat anyway for another year or two. Their skeleton, and emotional readiness just aren't where they need to be to be safe in a crash in a booster right now.

Your belt for the center clicks into a little buckle, then is a regular three point belt. You can also use the lower anchors in the center of your car if your Snugride has the hook on connectors. Please read your car's manual to see what I mean. It's a little confusing to try to explain without pictures. But if you use your belt there as a two point belt for either a seatbelt install or for a booster child, it could have scary results.

I'd look at the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, maybe the Evenflo Maestro if you leave off the cupholders (and get hole covers from Evenflo), and Chicco MyFit for the four year old. Then try the six year old in the Evenflo Amp you already have, along with the baby in the Snugride. I'd probably do all of the seats with the seatbelt. Your four year old is close to a lot of seats' lower anchor weight limits, and using the seatbelt for all three tends to give more room across the back.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC