Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

In a very minor crash - NHTSA car seat rules?

I was backed into today and the damage to my car is fairly minor:pCXTpit.jpg

However, I have a Graco Nautilus 65 in the rear passenger side (the struck side), and according to NHTSA's guidelines for car seat use after a crash there's a concern with the "The vehicle door nearest the car seat was not damaged" clause, since that door WAS damaged (slightly). The car seat was unoccupied in the crash.

It wasn't a hard hit, but does my seat need to be replaced? I was struck by a major national chain restaurant's delivery van (insured) and I have USAA, so I'm not expecting a fight, but I'd like to be armed with facts if the seat does need to be replaced.

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: In a very minor crash - NHTSA car seat rules?

Yes, it needs to be replaced. Graco doesn't follow NHTSA. They require replacement after any crash.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Re: In a very minor crash - NHTSA car seat rules?

Thanks Wendy! I'm handing all of this over to my insurance and have updated them about the need to replace it.