Sleeping children - no seat

K

Karennj123

My two oldest are no longer in seats. They pass the test to be out of boosters. We are doing a long road trip in which they normally sleep. This will be our first year without seats. I am worried about them staying upright. Is there some kind of gadget i can use so they can sleep but not slump over? Should i just get a booster with wings for long trips? They are 9 and 11.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

How tall and heavy are they? Generally kids who pass the five step test are too tall for high back boosters, so I worry you won't find anything.

Wendy

rachelandtyke

As mentioned above, I have taught my oldest to look up when she is falling asleep, but she still likes something to rest her head on during road trips. We got her a cardiff headrest, and she loves it. https://www.cardiffproducts.com/
I just remind her to use the side closer to where the seatbelt crosses her shoulder to lean on so she doesn't slip out of position (she is quite narrow).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So at 57" there are very few high backs that would fit, and that's generally about the start that a child may fit without a backless booster. This is how you know if they're ready to be without a booster at all. https://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/ Your smaller may not be able to be without a booster yet. Many nine year olds aren't ready.

For a high back that may fit them, though, the Diono Monterey/Cambria are tall and may work. The Britax Parkway, and Nuna Aace are also very tall. They may work. But at 11 years, their shoulders may be over the top belt guide height of most of these.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC