Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Booster Recommendation 7 yr old

My 7 yr old (8 in a few months) is 50lbs and 47 or 48 inches. She's currently in a Britax Marathon which I just realized expires next week. Could anyone recommend a booster for her? Space isn't an issue as she'll be seated on a captain's chair in a Dodge Grand Caravan. Would ideally prefer something that could convert to backless in future or for ease on rare occasions she'll be in another vehicle, but safety is top concern. She'll be disappointed she won't be using big sis's Pink Monteray that we've kept for her but apparently it's expired after 6 years (though only used for a few, I'm assuming still no good). So a pink option would be a great bonus.
    We're in Canada and plan to use it for awhile though she'd legally be okay without soon. No younger sibs to pass it to so that's not a factor.
    Was looking forward to no harness so she could wear her winter coat in the car, but willing to harness if it's still an option.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Booster Recommendation 7 yr old

Hi there.

Winter coats are not safe for anyone to use in the car. Whether harness, booster, or seatbelt alone. They all get in the way of our restraints.

I'd look at the Evenflo Big Kid, Cosco Pronto, Graco Turbobooster, Diono Cambria, Graco Affix, a new Diono Monterey, Britax Parkway, Peg Perego HBB 120 or Flex 120, and the Nuna Aace.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

Re: Booster Recommendation 7 yr old

Thanks for the info on the coats! I thought that was just for harnessed kids. Good to know!
    We researched and settled on the Cambria but it seems like it's discontinued in Canada. (?)
    Thanks for the recommendations, we'll have to head out again and try out those out! We tried a few but they seemed very shallow and didn't support her legs. She's actually only 46 inches I'm surprised this is an issue already!

Carseat Crazy

Canada Re: Booster Recommendation 7 yr old

I know this an old thread, but I wanted to add my personal recommendation for the Harmony Defender! We put my very tall 7 yr old in it - in harness - until she was too tall for that, also. And it comes in pink!!

Hope you found something that works.
    Melissa
    Selina joined us Feb 19, 2010
    Calgary, AB, Canada

Selina RF until 4 years, 1 month, 21 days old. FF in Radian until 6 years, 2 months (too tall). FF (harnessed) in Harmony Defender until 7 years, 2 months.