Graco for center of compact car

MelodyoftheForest

Hi all, I recently contacted Graco about the safety of using my 4Ever after it had gotten peed in and I cleaned it. The part to replace the straps I need is on backorder, so I was offered a partial rebate on another Graco seat in the meantime. Don't worry, I haven't used the seat since it got damaged!

So I am wondering if there is a Graco seat that would be comfortable for a fairly thin adult to sit next to if it is installed in the center of a compact sedan. I have a 2017 Corolla. I am thinking mostly about forward-facing, and I would want a seat that doesn't require a deep FF recline for kids under 40lbs. I would also want a comfy seat with strap covers for long road trips. The Tranzitions/Wayz is too wide at the base. If there is a non-Graco seat that would fit these criteria, I'd be curious to know about that too.

Thanks!

Edited to add: It looks like the seats that can be upright for kids under 40lbs are Contender, Sequence, Sequel, and the MySize/clones.

Last edited:
ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
If the Tranzitions/Wayz is too wide, no Graco seat is likely to suit.

I'm not sure there's any seat that fits those criteria, really.

Unless you don't care how wide they are up further?

MelodyoftheForest

Well, it can be a little wider up higher. I was just playing with the 2014 Boulevard I have, and I was able to install it over toward the passenger side quite a bit in the center. I could comfortably sit next to it behind the driver and didn't have the uncomfortable amount of overlap between the seat and I that I had when I tried my SureRide in the center. So a shape like the BLVD would probably work.

I can keep using the BLVD, but it is a trusted friend's, so I'd like something of my own that will work FF in the Corolla. I figured if I could get a good deal with this Graco rebate, that would be cool. The BLVD fits FF outboard too. The only combination seat I've tried that fits outboard with the forward-leaning, immovable head restraints is the Pioneer.

I don't think I could get a secure install with the Tranzitions in the center when I tried, but maybe it is worth another try with the techniques I used with the BLVD today.

MelodyoftheForest

I went to BRU to play with seats today. They didn't have the Contender or a clone, but the Sequel worked with my mom and I both comfortable next to it. I tried the Tranzitions/Wayz again, and the buckle stalk for the center position of my car was too long to get a tight install. It rode up into the belt path. And as I am writing this I realize I forgot to try twisting the buckle stalk! Doh! I was comfortable next to it, though. Anyway, I also tried the Maestro, and it worked as well, so I was leaning toward that one until I realized my blunder with the Tranzitions. Now I have to try it again!

For anyone following along or finding this later, I want to clarify: I could only sit next to these seats when they are installed toward the passenger side of center to the point that they cover the passenger side buckle, rendering that seat useless.

MelodyoftheForest

So take 3 with the Tranzitions was also a bust. Even twisting the buckle stalk, the seat started moving after I wiggled it a few times to simulate daily use. Now the Maestro is completely out of stock at BRU/TRU. I could still get the Sequence, but I don't like that it blocks the rear view when the headrest is extended. Or I could just get the Pioneer, which fits outboard, though a machine-washable cover would be nice. So confused!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I know it's not a Graco, but if you have LATCH there, an IMMI Go gives the most shoulder room for adjacent passengers short of a travel vest or backless booster.

MelodyoftheForest

No center LATCH there unfortunately. I had toyed with the idea of a travel vest, but I ended up betting the Pioneer today. It was the last one in my local BRU and I had the 25% off trade-in coupon, so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. It is pretty new, too, manufactured in January. I decided the middle seat wasn't worth fighting with when I knew I could get a good fit with the Pioneer outboard and not feel at all cramped back there with it.

Thanks for all your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC