Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Graco for center of compact car

Hi all, I recently contacted Graco about the safety of using my 4Ever after it had gotten peed in and I cleaned it. The part to replace the straps I need is on backorder, so I was offered a partial rebate on another Graco seat in the meantime. Don't worry, I haven't used the seat since it got damaged!

So I am wondering if there is a Graco seat that would be comfortable for a fairly thin adult to sit next to if it is installed in the center of a compact sedan. I have a 2017 Corolla. I am thinking mostly about forward-facing, and I would want a seat that doesn't require a deep FF recline for kids under 40lbs. I would also want a comfy seat with strap covers for long road trips. The Tranzitions/Wayz is too wide at the base. If there is a non-Graco seat that would fit these criteria, I'd be curious to know about that too.

Thanks!

Edited to add: It looks like the seats that can be upright for kids under 40lbs are Contender, Sequence, Sequel, and the MySize/clones.
    Last edited by MelodyoftheForest; 03-13-2018 at 03:53 PM.
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and Boulevard G4
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Graco for center of compact car

If the Tranzitions/Wayz is too wide, no Graco seat is likely to suit.

I'm not sure there's any seat that fits those criteria, really.

Unless you don't care how wide they are up further?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Well, it can be a little wider up higher. I was just playing with the 2014 Boulevard I have, and I was able to install it over toward the passenger side quite a bit in the center. I could comfortably sit next to it behind the driver and didn't have the uncomfortable amount of overlap between the seat and I that I had when I tried my SureRide in the center. So a shape like the BLVD would probably work.

I can keep using the BLVD, but it is a trusted friend's, so I'd like something of my own that will work FF in the Corolla. I figured if I could get a good deal with this Graco rebate, that would be cool. The BLVD fits FF outboard too. The only combination seat I've tried that fits outboard with the forward-leaning, immovable head restraints is the Pioneer.

I don't think I could get a secure install with the Tranzitions in the center when I tried, but maybe it is worth another try with the techniques I used with the BLVD today.
    -Reta
    Former CPST

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I see. The Contender is probably most like the boulevard at the base off the top of my head, followed by the MySize?
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 14, Bridget, 12, Maggie, 10, Katie Sue, 5
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

6. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I went to BRU to play with seats today. They didn't have the Contender or a clone, but the Sequel worked with my mom and I both comfortable next to it. I tried the Tranzitions/Wayz again, and the buckle stalk for the center position of my car was too long to get a tight install. It rode up into the belt path. And as I am writing this I realize I forgot to try twisting the buckle stalk! Doh! I was comfortable next to it, though. Anyway, I also tried the Maestro, and it worked as well, so I was leaning toward that one until I realized my blunder with the Tranzitions. Now I have to try it again!

For anyone following along or finding this later, I want to clarify: I could only sit next to these seats when they are installed toward the passenger side of center to the point that they cover the passenger side buckle, rendering that seat useless.
    -Reta
    Former CPST

Carseat Crazy

So take 3 with the Tranzitions was also a bust. Even twisting the buckle stalk, the seat started moving after I wiggled it a few times to simulate daily use. Now the Maestro is completely out of stock at BRU/TRU. I could still get the Sequence, but I don't like that it blocks the rear view when the headrest is extended. Or I could just get the Pioneer, which fits outboard, though a machine-washable cover would be nice. So confused!
    -Reta
    Former CPST

I know it's not a Graco, but if you have LATCH there, an IMMI Go gives the most shoulder room for adjacent passengers short of a travel vest or backless booster.

Carseat Crazy

No center LATCH there unfortunately. I had toyed with the idea of a travel vest, but I ended up betting the Pioneer today. It was the last one in my local BRU and I had the 25% off trade-in coupon, so I feel like I got a pretty good deal. It is pretty new, too, manufactured in January. I decided the middle seat wasn't worth fighting with when I knew I could get a good fit with the Pioneer outboard and not feel at all cramped back there with it.

Thanks for all your help!
    -Reta
    Former CPST