Best Infant or Convertible Carseat for placement next to a Graco Tranzitions - 2011 Hyundai Tucson

F

Froreal3

Hi, I'm looking for advice. I'm having my second child, 11 years later. My 10 going on 11 year old is sitting without her booster now in the backseat. However, my 5 going on 6 year old stepdaughter's Graco Tranzitions is also on the other passenger side. There is nothing in the middle seat. I want to know what's the best slim infant or convertible seat that I can buy to fit in the middle of my 2011 Hyundai Tucson.

My stepdaughter is average height and size, so I'm thinking of transitioning her to the highback booster mode of the Transitions in September when baby gets here so maybe it will give me more room. Also, for ease of use, perhaps I can somehow put the Graco Tranzitions in the middle and the infant seat on the passenger side and still have space behind the driver side for my 10 year old? I know my 10 year old's backless booster won't be able to fit with both carseats in there, but I think she's ok since the belt isn't on her neck and her feet are flat on the floor. I'm praying any seat will fit in the middle, as I do not want to buy a new car.

ETA: While inexpensive is better for the budget, I essentially don't care about price.

TIA!

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

Congrats on the new baby!

Here are all the criteria for making sure your oldest can safely ride without a booster. Keep in mind that each seating position could give her a different belt fit: https://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

I looked at some photos of your back seat, and I see there is a fold-down armrest in the center. Be sure to check your manual to see if the vehicle allows a rear-facing seat to be installed there. If you have two kids using the seat belt to secure themselves daily, you might consider trying to put them in the two positions where the buckles are next to each other and the infant in the other outboard position. That would keep the older kids from accidentally unbuckling the baby's seat. So from the photos, that would be boosters or booster and 5-stepper center and driver side with the baby passenger side.

If it were me, I would probably see if the oldest 5-steps in the center with adequate head support first. If she is comfortable there, I would put the Tranzitions outboard, as it can use LATCH in booster mode (doesn't have to be super tight like in harness mode) so nobody has to remember to buckle the booster in when she gets out of the car. That should give you a fair amount of options for the baby. Installing the baby's seat with the seat belt could give the center position more space, too. This configuration would also put the oldest child next to the youngest, which could be a good idea depending on individual personalities.

MelodyoftheForest

You're welcome! Let us know if you need any more help!

I did think of another good option if you keep the middle child harnessed for whatever reason, putting her and the baby where the seat belt buckles are together would be a good configuration. That would leave the oldest outboard rather than in the center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC