Question Need recommendation for new seat

LRH4

I need to buy a new seat for my 5 3/4 year old son. He weighs 35 lbs and is 45 inches tall. He still falls asleep in the car often. The vehicle is a 2015 odyssey. He was in a radian that expired, and is currently using his sisters boulevard that she now needs to use since her infant seat has expired. He is long in the torso and very thin.
Thanks for any recommendations!

ADS

LRH4

$250 is about as high as I want to go. I was looking at the frontier because I’ve always been happy with our Britax seats, but if there is a less expensive option that is just as good I’d love to know. I like the high harness height on the frontier since he’s long in the torso, but maybe that isn’t necessary? I also would love something easy to clean and install. I do have a parkway that belonged to my oldest, but I think he probably still needs a harness since he’s small (correct me if I’m wrong).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Frontier is super easy to install but a pain to clean.

The Graco Nautilus isn't quite as tall, easy to install usually (though not like the Frontier), some kids have head slump. Graco Atlas is similar.

The new Chicco MyFit has a tall harness (nearly as tall as the Frontier) and is easy to install; don't know how it is for cleaning.

He will likely need a harness for a little while yet if he slumps while he sleeps- often kids need one until between 6 and 7 though some longer.

How long exactly is his torso? Can you measure him seated against a wall (cross-legged) from floor to shoulders? That might narrow things down a bit.

LRH4

He is measuring 16 inches floor to shoulders right now.
He had horrible head slump in the radian. It’s much better in the boulevard though. That would definitely be a consideration since he’s always falling asleep in the car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Ok. Most kids gain around 1 inch of torso per year. The shortest one I listed, the Nautilus, would give you 2.5 inches of growth. The others are taller. So you'd be ok with any recommended combination seat in terms of height.

The MyFit has a lot more recline than the others, if that's desired.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC