When can he use integrated 5-point harness (race seats)?

mykidsmylife

So when DH gets home he is putting racing seats with integrated 5-point harness in them. Johnathon would ride in the front and I am wondering when it is okay to use these race seats with the 5-point harness?

(The back is off limits to the boys b/c the seatbelts are old (tag is pulled out) and it is a soft top with no roll bar. There is no airbag up front.)

Oh he would only go in it occasionally to go riding in the desert or whatever...
Thanks

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Is there a specific weight/height range for the racing harness? If he's of a size that's appropriate for the racing harness, then it falls under that parental decision gray area, but I know most of the techs/regulars here generally cringe at the notion of a child riding in the front seat unless there's no safer alternative. If it were my child, me the safety freak would say when he was old enough to drive. :) :twocents:

skipspin

What type of vehicle is this in? Is there a roll-cage/rollover protection in the front?

I would say the minimum would be when the 5 point harness fits him correctly. I know that the 4 point harnesses available aren't even close to fitting my 40 lb 4 yr old- I would say there's a chance maybe around 8ish that they *could* fit.

*If* I have 5 point harnesses in the front seat of a Jeep (Using this example because I know about them) with no airbags and only a rollcage to protect the front my kids would not be allowed to *ever* ride in it until they fit the harness correctly. That being said, other than a low-risk off road ride I'd probaby wait till they were 12-15 to consider it. There are lots of crazy drivers out there and I wouldn't risk the damage that could happen in a collision. Now, 5 point harnesses in the back with roll protection would be a much better situation.

mykidsmylife

The front is a hard top. The back is soft top with no roll bar. no protection at all. Oh and the back seat is coming out to make room for a fuel cell. So the only option is the front...

Okay he is 5 and this probably wont be done until he was like 6. But I fell the front is the only option. I will not put him in the back and risk his head slamming and dragging on the cement if he flipped over.

This would be a very seldom happening. And just when Rob wants to take him for a specail daddy and son bonding....
Thanks I will look into it. Obviously if I dont like how he fits and if I cant a tight harness then he wont go...

Thanks so much everyone

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My dh has owned & does own many full on race cars. We are talking 600+ rwhp vehicles. I have a 6 yr old and the 5 pt harness race belts don't fit her and probably won't for many years to come. They hit way to high above her shoulders. Even when fully tightened down she could easily slip right out the top esp in a roll over which is extremely likely in race vehicles at the rate of speeds they do. Plus all the belts hit right at her soft stomach area.

My dh has no rear seats (removed for to reduce weight). He does have both front seats with full racing seats & belts plus a certified NHRA 12pt roll cage. Even if my dh could legally drive his vehicle on the road we both agree neither of the girls will be in his race car.

They are much safer on the side line cheering daddy on.

mykidsmylife

okay thanks so much Jen....
I have never sat in one so I wasnt sure how they would fit him. Maybe he can keep the lap shoulder belt and I can install his car seat? I dont know. Ugh! I want him to enjoy time with Daddy and this is something we all enjoy doing. They wont be going at high speeds or anything, just riding through the desert going over hills. LOL.
So most likely a no go on the built in harness. Thanks.

And yes it is half hard top half soft top....

MsFacetious

I had this discussion with my ex. He is into racing, my family is into it with german cars. My ex used to have an eclipse with 5 point harnesses, fuel cell, turbo, ect. Thankfully it exploded one day on the track and he got a DINAN BMW M3. lol

This car doesn't even have a turbo, super charger or anything. It is pretty much still all stock. The carseats fit in the back and can be wonderfully installed. I still said no. I put them in it occasionally when I was driving it and we had no other vehicle. I think maybe twice to go to the doctor, when they were still RF in their Boulevards.

But I refused to let them ride in it regularly. Or with him driving. The temptation of racing is just too much in that car, too easy to get caught up and forget you have the kids with you.

Despite the awesome safety features of a BMW (I got rear ended on the freeway, the other guys car was totalled and mine had two scratches) I just was not comfortable with it.

I personally wouldn't be comfortable with it at all. We take the kids to the autocrosses, to the track, ect so they can watch Dad, Grandpa and now their Uncle racing. They love BMW's and can spot one faster than I can half the time. However...there is no need for them to ride in them to get that experience.

That said, I wouldn't mind putting them in a regular stock BMW, especially an older one like mine. I may start driving it again. But not one equipped or meant for racing.

I also had a friend in high school who went out to the sand dunes with their Dad and were just driving around. Vehicle rolled and my friend died. It just happened again a few months ago here. I'm just so incredibly paranoid after what we've been through that I don't take chances I don't absolutely have to. My Dad says I'm not living life... I say, at least we will be here to live it. :)

There's my long opinion. lol :)

southpawboston

That said, I wouldn't mind putting them in a regular stock BMW, especially an older one like mine.

how old is your BMW?

the safest cars of 15 years ago (BMW, MB, volvo, saab, etc) are not nearly as safe as most average, new $20k cars today. most people forget this. there was a video recently comparing a mid 90s volvo (referred to as the "tank") and a new renault, of the supermini class (european term for a sub-compact). in fact, they crashed them into each other. guess which one "won"?

personally, as much as i love old-school bimmers, i would feel safer with my kids in a new honda civic than in a 15 year old BMW ANYTHING. :twocents:

EDIT:

1997 bmw 3-series crash test
2001 bmw 3-series crash test
2005 bmw 3-series crash test
2006 ford focus (euro version) crash test

just look at the pictorials for dummy injuries for each car. speaks for itself.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
My dh has owned & does own many full on race cars. We are talking 600+ rwhp vehicles. I have a 6 yr old and the 5 pt harness race belts don't fit her and probably won't for many years to come. They hit way to high above her shoulders. Even when fully tightened down she could easily slip right out the top esp in a roll over which is extremely likely in race vehicles at the rate of speeds they do. Plus all the belts hit right at her soft stomach area.

My dh has no rear seats (removed for to reduce weight). He does have both front seats with full racing seats & belts plus a certified NHRA 12pt roll cage. Even if my dh could legally drive his vehicle on the road we both agree neither of the girls will be in his race car.

They are much safer on the side line cheering daddy on.

Agreed with Jenny...my dad raced NHRA for many moons and after I turned 16 I was his tow-vehicle operator to the start line, and drove (read: steered) the car back to the pits afterwards. Even at that point (when I was probably 5'0" and 100lb) his harnesses barely fit me, and if I did buckle them I surely couldn't reach the brakes.

Even when my dad raced Super Stock and he did have a front seat with a 5pt harness and I had my own helmet I was never allowed to ride during an event...every now and then (I could probably count them on one hand) I was allowed to ride with when he went to fill water jugs...but it was very rare.

Springnationals.jpg

That's me with my Dad & my brother in the car on the trailer in the driveway...LOL

mykidsmylife

Cute pic....

They wouldnt be doing anything dangerous or exteme. Just little tiny dunes I could go over with the minivan shoot even the Neon. And he doesnt go fast with him. We have all been out..

I wouldnt dream of letting him go with Rob for the extreme duning. Last time dh was stuck for 2 hrs in the dirt. LOL. I wouldnt even go with him for that kind of dunning.

okay thansk sooo much for all the answers...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC