Question Three across in a 2005 Ford Escape??

linneabw

We might be using an '05 Ford Escape on a trip and then driving it home. I need three across though. I have a rearfacing 2 year old in a Radian. I have a 9 year old who could use a backless turbo booster or Spectrum. Then I have a 6.5 year old who is usually in a Frontier. I'm guessing that will NOT fit. I could borrow a Graco Headwise or possibly buy something. His shoulder height is possibly 17", more likely 17.5". I need to know ASAP because we have to let relatives know if we want to buy the car. Is it doable? What seat for the 6.5 year old?

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I think it could be doable with a narrow combination seat. Some that come to mind are Graco Tranzitions, Harmony Defender, maybe the new Chicco MyFit. Will the 6.5 year old be booster ready in the next year, do you think? The Headwise is worth a try too, before you buy something. If you bring the seats most likely to work, is there somewhere nearby you can get another seat there if needed?

linneabw

We bought the Chicco MyFit, it's only 17" wide and the harness goes up to 19.5". The one issue I can see is that the harness is a little narrow at the neck. We will be driving a ton, so I don't think the 6.5 year old will be booster ready by then. I plan to play around with them in the third seat of my Sedona, it's supposed to be the same width. I'm just scared we are going to get there and have no room for the 9 year old's booster.

MelodyoftheForest

Hopefully the harness pads on the MyFit will keep it comfortable with the narrow straps. You could pick up a Bubble Bum or an Incognito (if over 60 lbs) for the oldest just in case you need a bit of extra space. The Incognito is probably the better bet for a road trip. If you are short on time, you can have it shipped to your destination, then you can send it back if you don't need it. Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC