Question 3 Carseats in Odyssey?

limawe223

Hi all,
First post here, and probably won't be my last. I'm due with #3 in April and we need to prepare three vehicles to transport all three kiddos. THIS question is about the 2011 Honda Odyssey, which will probably be our easiest of the three and also our primary vehicle. I'm wondering what people find to be the "best" configuration for this type of situation: We need an infant seat (Chicco Keyfit 30), RF convertible seat (Diono Radian), and a FF harness seat (Either Graco Nautilus 65 or Tranzitions). I can't decide if I want 1) all three kiddos in the second row, 2) take out the small middle seat in the second row and have my 5.5 year old crawl through to the back and buckle himself 3) Remove the drivers side second row seat and have the RF and infant seat side-by-side in the middle/passenger seats of second row to give more room to help FF kid in third row? He's not *quite* booster ready, so will be clipping into a 5 pt harness for another 6 months or so.

Just wondering what people do. I have a lot of lower back pain, so lifting the infant seat more than necessary and/or twisting in weird ways is not great for me. Pros and cons of above scenarios?
Thanks!!

ADS

JDQ4

I have an '07 Odyssey, lots of little ones and a bad back too! We tried 3 across the 2nd row, but the middle (plus 1) seat was too narrow to fully support our Clek Fllo (which is a very narrow seat). After calling Clek I found out that not only can you not have any overhang of the base off the front of the seats, but you can't have any off the sides either. I don't know if the middle seat is much wider in the 2011, but overhang and if it's allowed with your seat is something to keep in mind. So, I put the captain's chairs together to allow east access to the third row. Then I put the baby carrier in the passenger side second row putting my foot in the car and boosting/supporting the seat with my thigh to help me get it in without hurting my back. My toddler is rear-facing behind the driver, and we had a Britax Frontier in the 3rd row passenger side that our 5 year old learned pretty quickly to buckle himself into. For me the leg trick was key to using an infant seat with my back, that and proper abdominal bracing, see Dr. Stuart McGill's books for that. Life-changing. Good luck and congratulations.

lgenne

The Keyfit works great in the +1 of a 2011 Odyssey. And there’s tons of space between it and a RF Radian. So many memories...

And a FFer behind the removed captain’s chair was our preferred setup.

Now just avoid having a baby who is way off the charts and outgrows the Keyfit at 5 months, and you can enjoy this configuration for a significant amount of time!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC