Advice on 3rd row in ‘08 Grand Caravan

Mommy0608

Advice on 3rd row in ‘08 Grand Caravan

Hi all! It’s been a few years since I’ve been on here. We have an ‘08 Grand Caravan (have had it for 8 years now). Had I known then about how terrible the belt geometry in the 3rd row is, I wouldn’t have chosen this vehicle. However, we are stuck with it for now.

DD is 11 years old, 56” tall and about 70lbs. She’s rather petite/thin. She currently rides outboard in the 3rd row in a high back Monterey booster. The fit is fine in the booster as long we use the back. However, at nearly 12 years old, she really wants to use a backless booster or no booster. I’ve tried her in that seating position with both backless and no booster and the belt fit is awful! The shoulder belt is way off her shoulder and sticks out in front of her rather than touching her chest/shoulder.

I have not tried her in the center position. Perhaps the shoulder belt there would be better?

Other than getting a new vehicle, there probably isn’t much I can do to remedy the situation is there? Some magical solution?

The captains chairs aren’t much better unfortunately. She insists on riding in the 3rd row to have her own space away from her brother.

If I could convince DH to trade in our van and get something of similar value ($5000-$7000), what older used vans would have better 3rd row belt geometry? Money is an issue so unfortunately we can’t get something worth much more than the current van.

Edited: Just looked up the KBB value on my van. Much lower than I had hoped. If we trade in, it would only be worth about $2000. Would still appreciate older van recommendations.

Last edited:
ADS

lgenne

Re: Advice on 3rd row in ‘08 Grand Caravan

The center is a much better spot for backless boosters/5 steppers. I’d try that first.

jjordan

Kia Sedona (or the nearly identical Hyundai minivan) is your best bet for an inexpensive older van. Stick with 2006 or newer.

laurengt

My son’s friend rides in the back of our 2016 Grand Caravan in the backless Evenflo big kid. He’s a pretty solid kid though, so that is probably the difference for you. I’d try the center position, as previously mentioned here; that may make a differ nice because the belt originates in a better location.

Mommy0608

Thanks. I will try her in the center and see if it’s any better. I hadn’t done that yet but probably should have. That position is super narrow though so I’m not sure her backless booster will fit there but it’s possible she’ll 5-step.

lgenne

You could try a Safety 1st Incognito if her current booster is too wide and she doesn’t 5 step. It’s pretty narrow at the back.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC