Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Advice on 3rd row in ‘08 Grand Caravan

Hi all! It’s been a few years since I’ve been on here. We have an ‘08 Grand Caravan (have had it for 8 years now). Had I known then about how terrible the belt geometry in the 3rd row is, I wouldn’t have chosen this vehicle. However, we are stuck with it for now.

DD is 11 years old, 56” tall and about 70lbs. She’s rather petite/thin. She currently rides outboard in the 3rd row in a high back Monterey booster. The fit is fine in the booster as long we use the back. However, at nearly 12 years old, she really wants to use a backless booster or no booster. I’ve tried her in that seating position with both backless and no booster and the belt fit is awful! The shoulder belt is way off her shoulder and sticks out in front of her rather than touching her chest/shoulder.

I have not tried her in the center position. Perhaps the shoulder belt there would be better?

Other than getting a new vehicle, there probably isn’t much I can do to remedy the situation is there? Some magical solution?

The captains chairs aren’t much better unfortunately. She insists on riding in the 3rd row to have her own space away from her brother.

If I could convince DH to trade in our van and get something of similar value ($5000-$7000), what older used vans would have better 3rd row belt geometry? Money is an issue so unfortunately we can’t get something worth much more than the current van.

Edited: Just looked up the KBB value on my van. Much lower than I had hoped. If we trade in, it would only be worth about $2000. Would still appreciate older van recommendations.
    Last edited by Mommy0608; 03-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Advice on 3rd row in ‘08 Grand Caravan

The center is a much better spot for backless boosters/5 steppers. I’d try that first.

Moderator - CPS Technician

Kia Sedona (or the nearly identical Hyundai minivan) is your best bet for an inexpensive older van. Stick with 2006 or newer.
    Cutie #1 (11 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (9 years) riding in a Recaro Probooster

Cutie #3 (6 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (4 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (1 year) riding in a Nuna Rava

My son’s friend rides in the back of our 2016 Grand Caravan in the backless Evenflo big kid. He’s a pretty solid kid though, so that is probably the difference for you. I’d try the center position, as previously mentioned here; that may make a differ nice because the belt originates in a better location.
    Lauren: Detention Officer & CPST
    Mom to JRR (12/2009) -- riding in a Cybex M-Fix; occasional use: EvenFlo LBB, BubbleBum, & MiFold
    and LDM (4/2013) -- FF in a Clek Foonf & Britax Frontier ClickTight.

Thanks. I will try her in the center and see if it’s any better. I hadn’t done that yet but probably should have. That position is super narrow though so I’m not sure her backless booster will fit there but it’s possible she’ll 5-step.

CPS Fanatic

You could try a Safety 1st Incognito if her current booster is too wide and she doesn’t 5 step. It’s pretty narrow at the back.